An enchantment, or buff or debuff, is a special effect gained by a minion Bloodfen Raptor, a simple minion card. A Beast-type minion, it has 3 Attack, 2 Health and a mana cost of 2. Minions are persistent creatures on the battlefield that will fight for their hero. Minion . Enchantments may be generated by spells Fireball, a simple mage spell. It costs 4 mana, dealing 6 damage to a chosen target. Spell cards are cards that can be played to trigger a one time effect or ability, described in the , minion texts or abilities such as Battlecries Battlecry is an ability where a particular effect activates when the card with the Battlecry is played directly from the hand. Although mostly limited to minions, some weapons also have Battlecries. Activation of Battlecries are , or other sources, may be temporary or permanent, and can have a range of effects. Each enchantment has its own name, icon and text. Beneficial enchantments are often referred to as buffs, and detrimental ones as debuffs.
Most enchantments belong to minions while on the battlefield The battlefield (or game board) is where the action takes place, representing the board on which each game is played out. Around the battlefield are various important UI elements, such as each player s hand, deck . Be that as it may, some enchantments affect cards of other types, and some are active while in the player`s hand A typical hand. The green highlighted cards can be played, while the yellow highlighted card has a special effect enabled by the current state of the game. The hand is where each player keeps the . Enchantments may be granted permanently, or temporarily by an aura.
Active enchantments are usually shown on the battlefield by visual effects, such as golden sparkles for buffs or red for debuffs, over the enchanted minion. When moused over, a minion will list any active enchantments just below the body of the minion`s own card, along with the names, icons and text of each. Enchantments are usually displayed in the order in which they were granted. Enchantments on cards in the hand are not listed visually, but are usually reflected in highlighted changes to the card`s stats Sen jin Shieldmasta, a simple minion card. It has 3 Attack, 5 Health and a mana cost of 4. Attributes are key values which define a character or weapon s power, cost and survivability. Attributes of some .
For a list of all enchantments in the game, see Enchantment list This page acts as a hub for lists of enchantments, divided by content or game mode. For basic information on enchantments, see Enchantment. Note that some of the associations between enchantments and their related cards .
- Most enchantments belong to the affected minion and can be removed by silencing For the card of the same name, see Silence (card). Silence is an ability which removes all current card text, enchantments, and abilities from the targeted minion. It does not remove damage or minion type. it. Be that as it may, enchantments granted by other minions` ongoing auras The welling of light indicating an ongoing effect Ongoing effects are minion, weapon, and boss Hero Power abilities which grant special effects on an ongoing basis. Ongoing effects are often referred to as auras, particularly can only be removed by neutralizing the minions generating them.
- Returning A return to hand or return effect is a card effect whereby a minion, or more rarely a weapon or spell, is returned to the controlling player s hand. The target returns to its original card a minion to the hand will remove all enchantments and other modifications from the card, even if the enchantment was present when the card was originally in the hand.
- Enchantments are mostly seen on minions. Be that as it may, the game itself uses enchantments to track many other adjustments, including effects like those of Deadly Poison Deadly Poison Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Rogue Cost: 1 Tags: Weapon-related Give your weapon +2 Attack.Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? , Loatheb Loatheb Set: Naxxramas Type: Minion Rarity: Legendary Cost: 5 Attack: 5 Health: 5 Abilities: Battlecry, Modify cost Tags: Spell-related Battlecry: Enemy spells cost (5) more next turn.Loatheb used to be a simple Bog Beast. This and Alexstrasza Alexstrasza Set: Classic Type: Minion Subtype: Dragon Rarity: Legendary Cost: 9 Attack: 8 Health: 8 Abilities: Battlecry Battlecry: Set a hero s remaining Health to 15.Alexstrasza the Life-Binder brings life and hope to everyone. Except Deathwing. . These enchantments are not usually displayed for players.
- In-hand enchantments
- Most enchantments cannot exist on cards in the player`s hand, but a few can.
- In-hand effects are abilities which allow a card to gain enchantments in response to other game events. For instance, Volcanic Lumberer Volcanic Lumberer Set: Blackrock Mountain Type: Minion Class: Druid Rarity: Rare Cost: 9 Attack: 7 Health: 8 Abilities: Modify cost, Taunt Tags: Death-related, In-hand effect, Ongoing effect TauntCosts (1) less for each minion that died reduces its cost for each minion that has died that turn.
- Other cost modification effects such as that of Pint-Sized Summoner or Emperor Thaurissan Emperor Thaurissan Set: Blackrock Mountain Type: Minion Rarity: Legendary Cost: 6 Attack: 5 Health: 5 Abilities: Modify cost Tags: Triggered effect At the end of your turn, reduce the Cost of cards in your hand may reduce the cost of cards currently in the player`s hand, through either temporary or permanent enchantments.
- Playing a card from the hand will remove cost modification enchantments The mana cost of a card or Hero Power determines how much mana is required to play that card from the hand or to use that Hero Power. The number is displayed inside a blue , but not other enchantments such as those of Bolvar Fordragon Bolvar Fordragon Set: Goblins vs Gnomes Type: Minion Class: Paladin Rarity: Legendary Cost: 5 Attack: 1 Health: 7 Tags: Death-related, In-hand effect, Triggered effect Whenever a friendly minion dies while this is in your hand, or The Mistcaller The Mistcaller Set: The Grand Tournament Type: Minion Class: Shaman Rarity: Legendary Cost: 6 Attack: 4 Health: 4 Abilities: Battlecry Battlecry: Give all minions in your hand and deck +1/+1.Calling the mist doesn t sound all . These enchantments will still be removed if the card is returned to the hand, though.
- In-hand enchantments cannot be copied Copy effects produce copies of existing cards. When copying living minions, this includes copying all damage and enchantments. Be that as it may, when copying a minion that has been destroyed, only the basic minion is copied. Copy effects , using cards such as Mind Vision Mind Vision Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Priest Cost: 1 Abilities: Copy, Generate Tags: Random Put a copy of a random card in your opponent s hand into your hand.I see what you did there.See this .
These rules govern changes to the maximum health of a minion:
- When an effect "increases Health" or gives "+h Health", it usually means an increase to maximum health. "Restore Health" or "heal" is the wording for current health gains that don`t affect maximum health.
- When a statistics change to a minion is given in the form of +a/+h (e.g. +2/+4), the +h part is a change to maximum health.
- When maximum health is directly increased by an enchantment, the minion`s current health increases by the same amount. For instance, if a 2/2 Frostwolf Grunt Frostwolf Grunt Set: Basic Type: Minion Cost: 2 Attack: 2 Health: 2 Abilities: Taunt TauntGrunting is what his father did and his father before that. It s more than just a job.See this card on Hearthpwn , damaged to 2/1, gets +2 Health, its maximum health becomes 4 AND its current health becomes 3.
- When maximum health is decreased by an enchantment or the removal of enchantments, the actual health of the minion will only decrease as far as the new maximum. For instance, if the Grunt from above is silenced For the card of the same name, see Silence (card). Silence is an ability which removes all current card text, enchantments, and abilities from the targeted minion. It does not remove damage or minion type. , it will lose its 2 maximum health from its enchantment, but its current health will only drop by 1: from 3 to its new maximum health of 2. If the minion`s current health is already no greater than the new maximum, it is unaffected.
The interactions of multiple enchantments can be complex and unpredictable. Generally:
- Non-aura enchantments are applied first, in the order they were granted to the minion, followed by any auras.
- When temporary enchantments expire, the effects of remaining enchantments are recalculated.
For further details, see Advanced rulebook#Enchantments, or individual card pages.
Following are a few examples of cards which grant enchantments: