Sneaking is a gameplay featureSpecial attraction that prevents players from falling off of blocks, helps players hide from enemies, among other useful features.
- By using F5, viewing yourself in 2nd or 3rd Person View will display the player as bent-over.
- Sleeping in a Bed while also sneaking will allow a player to sleep, but they will only be barely visible.
- Sneaking was added in one of the Secret Updates.
- When it was originally added, a player could still fall off ledges while sneaking.
- It is still possible to fall off a ledge by moving to the edge of a block and jumping off of it.
- Sneaking darkens a player`s nametag in Multiplayer mode.
- Sneaking while blocking on Soul Sand that is on top of Ice, through a Cobweb with the Slowness II Status Effect is the slowest form of movement the player can achieve, at 1 block every 42 seconds.
- In creative Pixel art and other creations made in Creative mode. "Sandbox" redirects here. For a place to test edits to this wiki, see Minecraft Wiki:Sandbox. Creative mode is one of the main game modes in Minecraft. mode, if you hold the sneak button and then double tap the space bar to fly, you jump up and you are stuck at the height you jumped up in and stay like that until you release the space bar. Be that as it may, this isn`t a bug because the sneak key is also the key used in flying to lower altitude, so using both keys at the same time purposefully keeps you still.
- This does not work in the Console Edition Console Edition Author(s) Mojang AB 4J Studios Platform(s) Written in C++ Latest version Xbox 360 - TU53 Xbox One - CU43 PS3 - 1.51 PS4 - 1.50 PSVita - 1.51 Wii U - Patch 23 , as you will immediately switch to a standing position when you fly.
- In Pocket Edition Pocket Edition Author(s) Mojang AB Jens Bergensten Aron Nieminen Daniel Kaplan Tommaso Checchi Shoghi Cervantes Jason Major Daniel Wustenhoff Tomas Alaeus Mikael "Slicedlime" Hedberg MicrosoftTechnology company Studios 1] Platform(s) Written in C++ 2] Latest version 1.1.2 , the player uses a sneaking stance when flying downwards. The player will also be able to place blocks on chests, furnaces and other utility blocks in this stance, suggesting the player is actually in a sneaking mode.
On any PCPersonal Computer system, the control for sneaking defaults to ⃢₇₧ Shift. The player will be sneaking as long as the key is held down. In Pocket Edition Pocket Edition Author(s) Mojang AB Jens Bergensten Aron Nieminen Daniel Kaplan Tommaso Checchi Shoghi Cervantes Jason Major Daniel Wustenhoff Tomas Alaeus Mikael "Slicedlime" Hedberg @@@#@@@Microsoft(microsoft.com)###@### Studios 1] Platform(s) Written in C++ 2] Latest version 1.1.2 , sneaking is toggled by double-tapping the sneak button (the button with an open circle). In Console Edition Console Edition Author(s) Mojang AB 4J Studios Platform(s) Written in C++ Latest version Xbox 360 - TU53 Xbox One - CU43 PS3 - 1.51 PS4 - 1.50 PSVita - 1.51 Wii U - Patch 23 , sneaking is toggled by pressing on the right analog stick until it clicks (on a Playstation Vita, simply press down on the directional pad).
- Players are prevented from walking off edges if the difference in height between the two surfaces is 5⃢₁₄8 of a block or higher, which makes sneaking highly useful for building horizontally outwards over empty space.
- The player can still dismount blocks while sneaking by jumping over the block`s edge.
- Players move slower, at a speed of about 1.31m/s.
- Hostile mobs "Monster" redirects here. For the mob called "monster" in the code, see Human. Mobs are living, moving game entities. The term "mob" is short for "mobile". 1] Contents 1 Spawning 2 Behavior 3 List of will not become aware of the player until within 80% of the usual detection range.
- Eye level moves down 1⃢₁₄8 of a block, and the character model bends over slightly. This can be viewed using F5.
- The player`s hitbox reduces from 1.8 to 1.65 blocks.
- No footstep sounds occur.
- In multiplayer, a sneaking player`s name tag will be fainter than normal, and invisible to players more than 32 blocks away.
- Other players in multiplayer will not see a sneaking player`s name tag through solid blocks See the various blocks found in Minecraft. For the blocking with shields that reduces damage when performed, see Blocking. All blocks Blocks are the basic units of structure in Minecraft. Contents 1 .
- If players are on a ladder Ladder Transparency Yes Luminance No Blast resistance 2 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No Drops Itself Data value dec: 65 hex: 41 bin: 1000001 Name ladder “ Sometimes the fans are right, too. Like ladders. I or vine Vines Transparency Yes Luminance No Blast resistance 1 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable Yes Drops Itself Data value dec: 106 hex: 6A bin: 1101010 Name vine Vines are non-solid blocks, 1⁄16 of a block in thickness, , they do not move down. This gives the impression of holding on to that specific ladder rung or vine. Mining speed is still decreased by a factor of 5.
- Players may place certain items and blocks on some block entities A block entity (previously named tile entity) is extra data associated with a block, beyond the block ID and 4 extra bits of data that every block has. Usage edit | edit source] Block entities . For instance, placing a hopper Hopper Type Block Entity Physics No Transparency Partial (does not block light, mob spawning possible) Luminance No Blast resistance 24 Hardness 3 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No First appearances See History Drops on a chest Chest Type Block Entity Physics No Transparency Yes Luminance No Blast resistance 12.5 Hardness 2.5 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No, but catches fire from lava First appearances See History Drops Chest (1) , a torch Torch Transparency Yes Luminance 14 Blast resistance 0 Tool Any tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No Drops Itself Data value dec: 50 hex: 32 bin: 110010 Name torch See the common light-emitting torch. on a furnace Furnace Type Solid Block Requirements None Physics No Transparency Partial (when active) Luminance Yes, 13 (when active) Blast resistance 17.5 Hardness 3.5 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No First appearances See History Drops , or redstone Redstone Transparency Yes Luminance No Blast resistance 0 Tool Any tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No Availability Survival Drops Redstone (1) Data values See Data values Name See Data values This article is on a command block Command Block Type Block Entity Physics No Transparency No Luminance No Blast resistance 18,000,000 Hardness -1 Tool None Renewable No Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No First appearances See history Drops None Block entity id command_block .
- Players are able to interact with a horse using pressing use item control while holding the sneak key.
- Sneaking will prevent the player from bouncing on slime blocks Slime Block Transparency Partial (does not block light, mob spawning possible) Luminance No Blast resistance 0 Tool Any tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No Availability Survival, but not on Peaceful Drops Itself Data , making the player take fall damage.
- Magma blocks Magma Block Transparency No Luminance Yes (3) Blast resistance 2.5 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No (burns indefinitely when manually ignited, top side only) Drops Itself Data value dec: 213 hex: D5 bin: 11010101 Name magma do not cause harm.
Sneaking does not affect:
- Jump height: players can still jump up to the same heights, and at the same vertical speed. Horizontal jump speed and distance is decreased, however.
- Farmland Farmland Transparency PC: Partial (Blocks light) PE: Yes Luminance No Blast resistance 3 Tool Renewable No Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No Drops Dirt (1) Data value dec: 60 hex: 3C bin: 111100 Name farmland “ Want to live and crops: they will still be trampled when jumped upon.
Issues relating to ⃢₀ₜSneaking⃢₀ are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Sneaking helps accomplish a lot of things, such as walking on ledges without falling, preventing the player from falling off of blocks if stopped partway up a Ladder, etc. It can also be used to prevent a player`s username from being visible through blocks. However, when viewed up close, others can still see the username.
There are some negatives to sneaking. It causes a player to move 1.3₠m/s, much slower than the normal 4.3₠m/s. As mentioned above, walking near ledges without falling can only be done with sneaking, but it is still possible to step off a block onto an aadjacent surface only half a block lower, such as from a block to a slab, or down some stairs. Sneaking also affects a player`s reach distance.