|This page has been protected from editing to prevent vandalism. |
Please discuss changes on the talk page.
|Real name|| |
Markus Alexej Persson
|Date of birth|| |
Jun. 1, 1979 (age38)
|Known for|| |
Creating Minecraft, founder of Mojang AB
|Also known as|| |
|Twitter name|| |
|Minecraft name|| |
|“||2010 is almost over! I`ve seen it in my dreams!||„|
|—Notch on Dec. 29, 2010|
Markus Alexej Persson, more commonly known as Notch, is the creator of Minecraft Minecraft Author(s) Mojang AB (Credits) Markus "Notch" Persson (Creator) Jens "Jeb" Bergensten (Lead Developer) Jon "jonkagstrom" Kågström (AI Programmer) Nathan "Dinnerbone" Adams Erik "Grum" Broes Michael "Searge" Stoyke Thomas "ProfMobius" Guimbretière Agnes "LadyAgnes" Larsson Maria and one of the founders of Mojang AB Mojang AB Type Subsidiary Founder(s) Markus Persson, Jakob Porsér, and Carl Manneh Founded 2009 Headquarters Stockholm, Sweden Key people Jens Bergensten Products Minecraft, Scrolls, Cobalt, and Crown and Council Parent @@@#@@@Microsoft(microsoft.com)###@### Studios Links Site Mojang .
- When killed in-game, Notch drops an apple. He is the only player in the whole of Minecraft who does this (unless a player is killed while carrying an apple).
- Markus has participated in the Ludum Dare 48-hour game-developing competetion on several occasions.
- Markus is a member of the Swedish chapter of Mensa
- He is a member of the Pirate Party of Sweden
- Markus has voiced his dipleasure with the practises/business model of EA Games, and has said that Facebook creeps him out.
Persson started programming at the age of seven, using his dad`s Commodore 128. He produced his first game (a text-adventure) at the age of eight, with the help of type-in programs. In 2005 he started working as a game developer for King.com, which he left in 2009 to work as a programmer at Jalbum. After Minecraft sales grew he moved from full-time to part-time at Jalbum and then eventually left to focus full-time on Minecraft in Jun. 2010, many of the Mojang employees (including CEOChief Executive Officer Carl Manneh Carl Manneh Real name Carl Oscar Manneh 1] Date of birth Aug. 3, 1977 (age 39) 1] Occupation Chief Executive Officer of Mojang AB Nationality Swedish Known for Being a founder of Mojang and the CEO. ) are also ex-Jalbum employees. Outside of work he frequently takes part in competitions, including Ludum Dare, LD12 and the Java 4K Game Programming Contest. He lived in Denmark before he moved to Sweden with his parents and went to school there.
Persson has his own part of the Mojang website that can be found at http://www.mojang.com/notch
Persson sold Mojang and all of its assests to MicrosoftTechnology company on Sep. 15, 2014. In a lengthy blog post, Notch states "I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world." He then goes on to say that "I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on."
Persson left Mojang on Nov. 5, 2014 along with the other founders. He writes "As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately."
Games and other work
Notch has released much of his work, including, but not limited to:
- MEG4kMAN, a Mega Man clone featuring old-school graphics.
- Left 4k Dead, a zombie shooter game inspired by Left 4 Dead.
- t4kns, a real time strategy game.
- Miners4k, a game kinda inspired by Lemmings and Diggers.
- Hunters4k, a first person shooter.
- Dungeon4k, a dungeon exploration game.
- Sonic Racer 4k, a racing game with stolen sprites.
- Dachon4k, a gravity based shooter.
- l4krits, a Luxor clone.
- Blast Passage, an 8-Bit mashup between Bomberman and Gauntlet.
- Bunny Press, a violent puzzle game made for Ludum Dare 14.
- Breaking the Tower, a slow-paced strategy game.
- The Europa Arcology Incident, an RPG-style game Notch made in 48 hours for Ludum Dare 16.
- Infinite Mario Bros, a Super Mario clone featuring an endlessly-long level.
- Metagun, a puzzle game Notch made in 48 hours for Ludum Dare 18.
- Minecraft 4k Minecraft 4k Author(s) Markus "Notch" Persson Platform(s) Written in Java Latest version ? Released Dec. 2nd, 2009 1] Rating(s) ? Size "Way less than 4 kB" 2] (2.52KB) License Free Source available No This article , Minecraft in less than 4kb for a Java 4kb competition.
- Prelude of the Chambered, an escape game Notch made in 48 hours for Ludum Dare 21.
- MiniCraft, a top-down Zelda-esque game with elements from Minecraft, made for Ludum Dare 22.
- Legend of the Chambered
- First person shooter prototype in flash
- Flash doom level renderer
- Dungeon master type game engine in Java (flash version, uses static graphics)
- On Jun. 1, 2011, Notch posted on TwitterTechnology company that he was 25 years old. 25 is 32, which was his age at the time.
- Notch programmed the Minecraft splash screen See the message on the menu screen. For the potion, see Splash Potion. The main menu of Minecraft with random splash text. Splash texts are the yellow lines of text on the to display "Happy Birthday, Notch!" all day on the 1st of Jun..
Markus Persson was born in Stockholm, Sweden but lived in Edsbyn for the first seven years of his life, before moving back to Stockholm with his family. He began programming on a Commodore 128 home computer at the age of seven. Having experimented with various type-in programs he produced his first game at the age of eight, a text-based adventure game. Professionally, he had worked as a game developer for King.com for over four years, until 2009. Afterwards he worked as a programmer for Jalbum. He is also one of the founders of Wurm Online, although he no longer works on this game. Outside of work, he has made seven games for competitions for the Java 4K Game Programming Contest such as "Left 4K Dead" and "Mega 4K Man". He has also entered the Ludum Dare competition. He is the central figure of a documentary in development about the rise of Minecraft and Mojang called Minecraft: The story of Mojang. Some fans believe he has a dead brother called Herobrine that haunts the game, but Markus has confirmed this is nothing more than a hoax, he never had a brother.
Markus was at one time married to Elin Zetterstrand (Kristoffer Zetterstrand`s sister), for two years until August 16th, 2012, when he stated that he was single again.
In September 2014, Markus and two other co-founders (Jakob Porser and Carl Manneh) left Mojang following their sale of the company to Microsoft for $2.5 billion (US). Markus has stated the reason behind his departure from Mojang was in order to keep out of the limelight and preserve his sanity. He has also spoken about how the success of Minecraft and being thrust into billionaire status has negatively impacted his personal life, causing him to often feel isolated
Markus is presumed to now be living in the Trousdale Estates neighborhood of Beverly Hills California, as he purchased a $70 million mansion in the neighborhood in 2014.
Games and other work
Notch has released almost all of his work. His newer games developed with Mojang include:
- 0x10c (an alternate-reality space game whose production was halted)