• Dungeons can spawn with a side open to a ravine. This can cause mobs to not spawn, as the dungeon is exposed to sunlight, or for mobs to walk out of the ravine cliff and fall to their deaths. Dungeons may also generate with their openings closed, but with walls exposed on the side of a ravine, acting as a flag to players. This happens as of Beta 1.8.1.
  • Dungeons are almost always connected to a cavern, and because the cavern can be as small as a single block of air, the dungeon could completely overwrite it, usually resulting in a dungeon with no entrance. It is also possible to find up to two Dungeons in a large Cavern.

    A dungeon that is connected to a cave.

  • Because Deserts are made of Sand and dungeons are not generated with a roof, dungeons close to the surface can cause tell-tale rectangular pits. These pits can also be identified by Cobblestone or Stone exposed by the fallen sand and can be easily looted during the daytime once excavated.
  • Sometimes dungeons can be found on the coast on beaches. It is similar to Desert dungeons since the Sand will cave in. Furthermore, Water can flood into the dungeon as well.
  • It is possible, albeit rare, for the Player to spawn in a dungeon near the surface.
  • Rarely, a Mushroom will appear in a dungeon on Moss Stone.
  • Very rarely, there will not be a mob spawner in the dungeon. There is also a chance that the dungeon might be turned upside down. This is most likely a generation error. There may also be partially-generated dungeons near chunks that were re-generated.
  • It is possible, though almost impossibly rare for a dungeon to be generated at bedrock level, thereby deleting the bedrock. In which case digging through the moss stone can lead into The Void.

    A dungeon that was generated at the lowest position of the game, resulting in admission to The Void.

  • It is possible for a Dungeon to spawn over a lava pit. It is also possible that the dungeon does not have a Cobblestone floor, or only a partial floor, resulting in a floating spawner. At around a floating spawner, in an open dungeon, is shown in this video.
  • On peaceful, a Monster Spawner may spawn a monster that can attack once before Despawning.
  • Rarely, on peaceful, a Monster Spawner may spawn a monster that plays its sound file before it can despawn.
  • Commonly, a Monster Spawner can be spotted from the surface. Islands of Gravel or Sand will have an obvious ditch in them which can indicate a Monster Spawner which the Sand or Gravel has caved in on.
  • It is rarely possible for a Player to find a dungeon with two spawners and up to 4 chests. This occurs when a 5x5 dungeon spawns within a 7x7 dungeon, since the dungeon will remove any blocks from the walls or floor that open into a cave, the walls of the smaller dungeon will be removed, resulting in a 7x7 floor space with one spawner in the middle, and a second spawner adjacent or diagonally adjacent to the first.
  • Sometimes, a dungeon can spawn in an ocean or lake, but very rarely. When this happens, it can make exploration deadly as the player is likely to drown.
  • Double-chest dungeons as shown below may have chests that form a perpendicular barrier between the wall and spawner (an exception to this would be in 7x7 dungeons, in which the chest cannot reach the spawner):
  • Sometimes, dungeons spawn at the lava level. This causes parts of the floor to be open directly to the lava. Around 1:20, a dungeon with a lava floor is shown
  • The Moss Stone pattern on the dungeon floor seems to have a pattern, most noticeable with a 5x5 dungeon, where a 2x2 cube of moss stone lays in one corner. Unknown if this happens with 5x7 dungeons and, of course, the larger 7x7.
  • Although extremely rare, three dungeons may spawn together or very close to each other, resulting in a massive amount of mobs and up to 6 chests. Due to the sheer amount of mobs generated, these dungeons may be very difficult to conquer (unless the game is set to Peaceful mode) A seed to this is `i dont care`. It is found in the desert part of the map on the surface (1.0.0. only).
  • If a dungeon loads in two chunks and one regenerates (often causing a flat vertical wall), the dungeon can become partially generated. This can be found if one of the walls of the dungeon is not cobblestone, but rather stone. Sometimes, the partially generated dungeon will not have a spawner or a chest. Example of a partially generated dungeon
  • The contents of chests in dungeons appear to be based on the world seed.
  • Because some caves are deep, skinny pits, dungeons may have a small hole in the corner, which can be dangerous to both mobs and the player.
  • Abandoned Mine Shafts can strip a dungeon apart, due to the arches and air overwriting the dungeon. The result is usually a partial floor and/or a missing wall. Strongholds may also have this capability.
  • It is rare but sometimes three chests can be found in a single generated dungeon, this might be due to a generation bug.
  • Up until weekly build 11w48a, Red Apples could only be found in dungeons.
  • Somewhat rarely, dungeons may spawn with no chests.
  • Prior to 1.8, dungeons could spawn quite high up, rarely appearing in mountains.
  • Rather rarely, dungeons may spawn in underwater ravines, usually entered via the ravine`s opening, the dungeon can be found.
  • An extremely rare bug can occur in which there is a dungeon on the surface of land. This was fixed later on.
  • Extremely rare: Dungeon can also spawn under a pool of lava, thus resulting the dungeon`s chests to be destroyed.
  • Dungeons can even be in Superflat worlds.
  • 2 chests may spawn next to each other, creating a large chest.


  • Dungeons are always connected to a cavern or other structure, although it`s possible for the dungeon itself to overwrite most of a very small cave.
  • It is possible, though rare, to find connected dungeons with multiple spawners and extra chests. It is also possible for a dungeon to generate over another, replacing the chests and spawner of the first.
  • It is possible, though almost impossibly rare, for a dungeon to be generated at bedrock level, thereby deleting the bedrock. In that case, digging through the moss stone can lead into the Void.citation⃂needed
    • Because the air at y=10- replaces itself with lava, this cannot happen in caves. Be that as it may, it can happen in abandoned mineshafts.
  • Double-chest dungeons, as shown below, may have chests that form a perpendicular barrier between the wall and spawner (an exception to this would be in 7x7 dungeons, in which the chest cannot reach the spawner).



Dungeons generate naturally in the Overworld The Overworld, as seen in an extreme hills and a forest biome The Overworld is the dimension in which all players begin their Minecraft journey. Contents 1 Creation 1.1 Seeds 2 Environment 2.1 Biomes 2.2 minecraft at any level Chart lining up Y-coordinate values (left) to block layers (right). Altitude is a measurement of vertical distance, or distance along the Y-axis. Contents 1 Definition 2 Limits 3 Natural resources and altitude 3.1 The Nether minecraft . For each chunk, 8 attempts are made to generate a dungeon; it`s possible but unlikely for multiple attempts to succeed.

For each attempt, a location and size (an open area of 5⃗5⃗4, 5⃗7⃗4, or 7⃗7⃗4) is chosen. The attempt succeeds if the following conditions are met:

  • The floor area (including under the walls) of the potential dungeon must be entirely solid.
  • The ceiling area (including over the walls) of the potential dungeon must be entirely solid.
  • The walls of the potential dungeon must have 1–5 openings (2-high air blocks) at floor level.

If the location passes, air and cobblestone are placed, then 3 attempts are made to generate each of 2 chests. To generate a chest, the chosen block must be empty and must have a solid block on exactly one of its four sides. The spawner is placed at the center of the dungeon.


Dungeons are small rooms made of cobblestone Cobblestone Transparency No Luminance No Blast resistance 30 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No Experience Smelted: 0.1 Drops Itself Data value dec: 4 hex: 4 bin: 100 Name cobblestone Cobblestone is a common block, obtained from minecraft and moss stone Moss Stone Transparency No Luminance No Blast resistance 30 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No Drops Itself Data value dec: 48 hex: 30 bin: 110000 Name mossy_cobblestone Moss stone is a block of cobblestone with moss minecraft and contain a monster spawner Monster Spawner Type Solid Block Requirements None Physics No Transparency Partial (doesn t block light) Luminance No (Small amount of light for Pocket Edition) Blast resistance 25 Hardness 5 Tool Renewable No Stackable Yes (64) Flammable minecraft and up to 2 chests Chest Type Block Entity Physics No Transparency Yes Luminance No Blast resistance 12.5 Hardness 2.5 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No, but catches fire from lava First appearances See History Drops Chest (1) minecraft . Finding a dungeon without a chest is very unlikely but possible. Additionally, there is a slight chance of a dungeon being found without a spawner. Occasionally, a dungeon will generate with its chests in such a way as to create a double chest Chest Type Block Entity Physics No Transparency Yes Luminance No Blast resistance 12.5 Hardness 2.5 Tool Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Flammable No, but catches fire from lava First appearances See History Drops Chest (1) minecraft . Dungeons generate with either a zombie Zombie Health points 20 () Armor points 2 () Attack strength Easy: 2 () Normal: 3 () Hard: 4 () Size Adult: Height: 1.95 Blocks Width: 0.6 Blocks Baby: Height: 0.975 Blocks Width: 0.3 Blocks Spawn minecraft (50% chance), skeleton Skeleton Health points 20 () Attack strength Bow: Easy: 1 () - 4 () Normal: 1 () - 4 () Hard: 1 () - 5 () Sword: Easy: 2 () Normal: 2 () Hard: 3 minecraft (25% chance), or spider Spider Health points 16 () Attack strength Easy: 2 () Normal: 2 () Hard: 3 () Size Height: 0.9 Blocks Width: 1.4 Blocks Spawn Light level of 7 or less, 3×3×2 space on solid blocks minecraft (25% chance) spawner. The spawner is always in the center of the dungeon room, with chests located around the walls of the room (large chests can connect with the short side against the wall). Each block of the floor has a 25% chance of being cobblestone, and a 75% chance of being moss stone.


See also: Chest loot This table summarizes the average quantity of each item that can be found in a naturally-generated chest, depending on its location. show all columns View at: Chest loot/All edit] Values represent the number of items

Each dungeon chest contains 3 groups of 1–3, 1–4, and 3 item stacks, with the following distribution:

Stack Size Weight # Items Chance # Chests
1–3⃗ 1–4⃗ 3⃗ 1–3⃗ 1–4⃗ 3⃗

1–8 1040 3.375 57.8% 1.7

1–8 1040 3.375 57.8% 1.7

Rotten Flesh
1–8 1040 3.375 57.8% 1.7

1–8 1040 3.375 57.8% 1.7

1–4 20125 1.000 35.3% 2.8

1 20125 0.400 35.3% 2.8

Name Tag
1 20127 0.315 29.0% 3.4

1 20127 0.315 29.0% 3.4

1–4 15125 0.750 27.4% 3.7

1–4 15125 0.750 27.4% 3.7

Music Disc (13)
1 15127 0.236 22.2% 4.5

Music Disc (Cat)
1 15127 0.236 22.2% 4.5

Iron Horse Armor
1 15127 0.236 22.2% 4.5

Golden @@@#@@@Apple(apple.com)###@### (Normal)
1 15127 0.236 22.2% 4.5

Beetroot Seeds
2–4 10125 0.600 18.8% 5.3

Melon Seeds
2–4 10125 0.600 18.8% 5.3

Pumpkin Seeds
2–4 10125 0.600 18.8% 5.3

Iron Ingot
1–4 10125 0.500 18.8% 5.3

1 10125 0.200 18.8% 5.3

Enchanted Book
1 10127 0.157 15.1% 6.6

Gold Horse Armor
1 10127 0.157 15.1% 6.6

Gold Ingot
1–4 5125 0.250 9.7% 10.3

Diamond Horse Armor
1 5127 0.079 7.7% 13.0

Golden AppleTechnology company (Enchanted)
1 2127 0.031 3.1% 32.0
  1. All enchantments are equally probable, and any level of the enchantment is equally probable.

In Pocket Edition Pocket Edition Author(s) Mojang AB Jens Bergensten Aron Nieminen Daniel Kaplan Tommaso Checchi Shoghi Cervantes Jason Major Daniel Wustenhoff Tomas Alaeus Mikael "Slicedlime" Hedberg @@@#@@@Microsoft(microsoft.com)###@### Studios 1] Platform(s) Written in C++ 2] Latest version 1.1.2 minecraft , cocoa beans Cocoa Beans Type Wool dyes Durability N/A Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) First appearances See history Data value dec: 3513 hex: 15F3 bin: 1010111113 Name dye 3 See Cocoa Beans. For the plant, see Cocoa. minecraft and ink sacs Ink Sac Type Wool dyes Durability N/A Renewable Yes Stackable Yes (64) Data value dec: 351 hex: 15F bin: 101011111 Name dye Ink sacs are the darkest possible primary color dye. Contents 1 Obtaining 1.1 Squids 1.2 Fishing minecraft can be found in chests.



Infdev Infdev Starting version Minecraft Infdev (27th of Feb., 2010) Latest version Minecraft Infdev (27th of Jun., 2010) Paid Yes A version of Infdev from Jun. 18, 2010 is available to play in the launcher. Be that as it may, minecraft
Seecret Friday 2 Added dungeons.
1.0.4 Added redstone dust to dungeon chests, sometime between its introduction in alpha 1.0.1 and 1.0.4.
1.0.14 Added the newly introduced 13 and cat music discs to dungeon chests.
1.4 Added cocoa beans to dungeon chests.
1.8 Bread can appear in groups of 2verify, because food became stackable in 1.8
Official release
1.3.1 12w22a Breaking the spawner of a dungeon gives experience.
1.4.6 12w49a Added enchanted books to dungeon chests.
1.6.1 13w16b Added name tags to dungeon chests.
13w18a Added horse armor to dungeon chests and removed cocoa beans. Probabilities were also adjusted.
1.7.2 13w36a Changes in cavern generation make dungeons considerably rarer.
1.8 14w30a Chances of music discs reduced.
1.9 15w44a Added bone, coal, rotten flesh, enchanted golden apple, and melon, pumpkin and beetroot seeds to chests.
Average yields of music discs are increased. Average yields of enchanted books, gunpowder and string have doubled. Average yield of normal golden apples is substantially increased.
Average yield of iron horse armor is decreased. Average yields of name tags, saddle, wheat and bread are nearly halved. Average yields of iron ingots and buckets are substantially decreased.
Pocket Edition Alpha
0.9.0 build 1 Added dungeons.
0.15.0 build 1 Added name tags,enchanted books and horse armor to dungeon chests.
Console Edition
TU1 CU1 1.0 Patch 1 Added dungeons.


Issues relating to ⃢₀ₜDungeon⃢₀₝ are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.


Surface dungeons

Multiple dungeons



    Monster Spawner

    A monster spawner spawns a mob or monster about 20 seconds after the first monster or Mob got spawned. The model will spin faster and faster until a Mob spawns, then it will "reset". A Monster Spawner looks like a cage with a trapped monster or mob in it. As it spawns, the mob will leave a trail of smoke. Most of the mobs in the spawner will only spawn during nighttime because of their spawn conditions.


    • Another reliable way of locating dungeons is through listening, either for a large amount of noise from one kind of Mob, or for Ambience. Neither of these things are an exclusive trait of a dungeon, but they do mean that there is an unlit and unexplored area nearby, which may well be a dungeon, particularly in the case of frequent and similar mob noises.
    • A sure way of knowing a dungeon is nearby is if there is Cobblestone or Moss Stone underground (that was not placed by a player). This gives time to prepare to tackle the dungeon and face whatever Mobs are inside. Either block can be seen on the side of a cavern.
    • On a desert, one can find a 5x7 rectangle on the Sand which could be a buried Dungeon.
    • If all else fails, one can use a map viewer to search for Moss Stone blocks. To locate them, set the viewer to show only Moss Stone (data value 48), Monster Spawner (data value 52) or Cobblestone (data value 4) that was not player-placed. Play the save file and head out to one such place and dig down until the Dungeon is found. The viewer must be up-to-date, or it may crash upon trying to load blocks that it doesn`t recognize.
    • To defeat a dungeon, aside from the obvious method of fighting the monsters and lighting up the area, one can instead tunnel underneath it and destroy the spawner from below. or it is also possible to flood the dungeon with lava, kill all of the mobs, then place torches to disable the spawner just as the last of the lava disappears.
    • Digging around the sides of the dungeon will allow bypassing of the spawner and loot the chests directly without any risk of health loss. This can also be used to attack the mobs without health loss. However, this is not a good way to deal with Spider Spawners because Spiders can pass through holes that are one block high and at least two blocks long.
    • A fast way to collect loot from the Chest is to destroy the chest rather than removing the items from it. This way all the loot is collected as well as the chest.
    • Dungeons rarely spawn without being connected to some sort of cavern system, or other naturally generated structure.