Removal is the term used to refer to the elimination of minions Bloodfen Raptor, a simple minion card. A Beast-type minion, it has 3 Attack, 2 Health and a mana cost of 2. Minions are persistent creatures on the battlefield that will fight for their hero. Minion from the battlefield The battlefield (or game board) is where the action takes place, representing the board on which each game is played out. Around the battlefield are various important UI elements, such as each player s hand, deck .
- Hard removal describes cards and effects that can neutralize minions regardless of most defenses, such as high Health Health, sometimes referred to as life, hit points or HP, is an attribute found on heroes and minions, reflecting the remaining survivability of the character. Health can be reduced, almost always by taking damage. If or Divine Shield An Argent Squire with Divine Shield in place Divine Shield is an ability which causes a minion to ignore the next damage it receives. Upon receiving any damage the Divine Shield is removed, and that : usually Destroy Destroying a minion or weapon removes it from play. Only minions currently on the battlefield and weapons that are currently equipped can be destroyed. Discarding a card removes it directly from the player s hand and or Transform Transform is an ability which irreversibly transforms a minion into something else. This removes all card text, abilities and enchantments, and does not trigger any Deathrattles. Transformation is not an enchantment but rather a permanent effects. Every class has some form of hard removal option, although some such as priest The Priest is one of the nine classes in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, represented by Anduin Wrynn and Tyrande Whisperwind. Contents 1 Heroes 2 Overview 3 Background 4 Hero Power 4.1 Replacement Hero Powers 5 are known for their range of removal effects.
- Soft removal usually identifies cards and effects that can cause the death of an important target through damage Damage in Hearthstone is a particular infliction of harm upon heroes or minions, measured by a number which is deducted from their Health and/or Armor (if they have any). If a character s Health is reduced : typically spells Fireball, a simple mage spell. It costs 4 mana, dealing 6 damage to a chosen target. Spell cards are cards that can be played to trigger a one time effect or ability, described in the but sometimes including damaging weapons, abilities such as Battlecries Battlecry is an ability where a particular effect activates when the card with the Battlecry is played directly from the hand. Although mostly limited to minions, some weapons also have Battlecries. Activation of Battlecries are , or minions with Charge For the card of the same name, see Charge (card) Charge is an ability allowing a minion to attack the same turn it is summoned. Charge is available to all classes, but is most strongly .
The term is also used to refer to the quantity of cards which a player possesses with which to remove enemy minions: "He should have put more removal in his deck". Removal cards often work as flexible "answers" to problematic minions of the opponent, although other cards may fill this role as well.
Removal is reactive in nature, used to eliminate important minions played by an opponent. Nonetheless, it can be used offensively, such as by removing a Taunt The shield-like Taunt visual effect Taunt is a minion ability which forces the opposing player to direct any melee attacks toward enemy targets with this ability. Minions with Taunt (commonly referred to as Taunts) serve minion in order to continue an assault on the enemy hero. Unlike maintaining board control Board control is an unofficial term usually referring to a player s ability to keep the opponent from building up minions on the battlefield, or "board". Control decks are named after this strategy, aiming to control using friendly minions, removal is usually effective straight from the hand, allowing quick destruction of threats or critical defenses without giving the opponent the chance to protect them.
The exact definition of removal seems to vary between players. For some, only spells count as removal, while for others weapons and minion cards with effects that function as removal also count. For example Doomsayer Doomsayer Set: Classic Type: Minion Rarity: Epic Cost: 2 Attack: 0 Health: 7 Abilities: Destroy Tags: Area of effect, Triggered effect At the start of your turn, destroy ALL minions.He s almost been right so many is commonly included in decks to serve as removal, but the card itself is not always considered to be removal, since it is a minion. Removal spells tend to offer an instant, one-card solution to threats that might otherwise at best require the sacrifice of several other minions or the use of multiple other cards, and at worst spell defeat for the player. Minions with removal effects, such as Anomalus Anomalus Set: Whispers of the Old Gods Type: Minion Subtype: Elemental Class: Mage Rarity: Legendary Cost: 8 Attack: 8 Health: 6 Abilities: Deal damage, Deathrattle Tags: Area of effect Deathrattle: Deal 8 damage to all , Sylvanas Windrunner Sylvanas Windrunner Set: Hall of Fame Type: Minion Rarity: Legendary Cost: 6 Attack: 5 Health: 5 Abilities: Deathrattle, Take control Tags: Random Deathrattle: Take control of a random enemy minion.Sylvanas was turned into the Banshee and Deathwing Deathwing Set: Classic Type: Minion Subtype: Dragon Rarity: Legendary Cost: 10 Attack: 12 Health: 12 Abilities: Battlecry, Destroy, Discard Battlecry: Destroy all other minions and discard your hand.Once a noble dragon known as Neltharion, Deathwing , may provide removal through Battlecries, making their effects comparable to spells, or through effects like Deathrattles A Loot Hoarder displaying the Deathrattle icon Deathrattle is an ability where the stated effect occurs when the minion or weapon is destroyed. Cards with Deathrattle appear with a skull and crossbones when in play. , providing a delayed and less reliable form of removal.
Lack of hard removal can cause problems for players when encountering high-Health minions. On the other hand, hard removal sources are generally ineffective at mounting an offense to actually kill the opponent, so balancing removal and other card types is vital to building a strong and versatile deck A deck is a collection of exactly 30 cards. All cards drawn by the player during a game come from their deck. Each deck is tied to a specific class. Decks can be created and .
Types of removal
Different types of removal effects have their pros and cons:
- Destroy Destroying a minion or weapon removes it from play. Only minions currently on the battlefield and weapons that are currently equipped can be destroyed. Discarding a card removes it directly from the player s hand and effects are the simplest and most common hard removal, ignoring Divine Shield An Argent Squire with Divine Shield in place Divine Shield is an ability which causes a minion to ignore the next damage it receives. Upon receiving any damage the Divine Shield is removed, and that and high Health, but still activating Deathrattles A Loot Hoarder displaying the Deathrattle icon Deathrattle is an ability where the stated effect occurs when the minion or weapon is destroyed. Cards with Deathrattle appear with a skull and crossbones when in play. . Many destroy spells Fireball, a simple mage spell. It costs 4 mana, dealing 6 damage to a chosen target. Spell cards are cards that can be played to trigger a one time effect or ability, described in the such as Shadow Word: Pain, Execute Execute Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Warrior Cost: 2 Abilities: Destroy Tags: Damaged-related Destroy a damaged enemy minion.It s okay, he deserved it.See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Execute is a warrior spell card, from , and Naturalize Naturalize Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Druid Rarity: Common Cost: 1 Abilities: Destroy, Draw cards Destroy a minion. Your opponent draws 2 cards.Another one bites the dust.See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Naturalize is have special conditions or drawbacks to balance their overall power.
- Transform Transform is an ability which irreversibly transforms a minion into something else. This removes all card text, abilities and enchantments, and does not trigger any Deathrattles. Transformation is not an enchantment but rather a permanent effects are excellent removal for Deathrattle (and Divine Shield) minions, since transformed minions don`t actually die, but still lose their abilities. Be that as it may, they leave the opponent with another minion that still needs a response, albeit probably Devilsaur Set: Classic Type: Minion Subtype: Beast Rarity: Common Cost: 5 Attack: 5 Health: 5 See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Devilsaur is an uncollectible minion generated by Tinkmaster Overspark s Battlecry. For more information, a lot smaller.
- Mind control effects Mind control effects or control effects are effects which allow a player to seize control of an enemy minion. Controlled minions are treated as belonging to the controlling player for all purposes, can be directed may be the best hard removal of all, since they bypass Deathrattles, completely remove the minion from the opponent`s board, and effectively create an equivalent minion for the player. Be that as it may, these effects are usually expensive and hard to come by.
- Entomb Entomb Set: The League of Explorers Type: Spell Class: Priest Rarity: Common Cost: 6 Abilities: Shuffle into deck, Take control Choose an enemy minion. Shuffle it into your deck.It s perfectly safe as long as you and Recycle Recycle Set: Goblins vs Gnomes Type: Spell Class: Druid Rarity: Rare Cost: 6 Abilities: Copy, Generate, Shuffle into deck Shuffle an enemy minion into your opponent s deck.Druidic recycling involves putting plastics in one bin and `s shuffle into deck Shuffle into deck effects place cards into a player s deck, with its placement randomly determined. While not stated in card text, the randomness of the card s placement is achieved through subsequently shuffling the entire deck. effects also avoid most defenses, although Recycled minions may eventually return later in the game; on the other hand Entomb Entomb Set: The League of Explorers Type: Spell Class: Priest Rarity: Common Cost: 6 Abilities: Shuffle into deck, Take control Choose an enemy minion. Shuffle it into your deck.It s perfectly safe as long as you acts more like a delayed mind control effect.
- Soft removal damage can often be targeted directly at the opponent if not needed for minion targets, making it more versatile than hard removal. On the other hand, the damage produced by such cards may not actually be enough to eliminate a desired target with a single card. Additionally, Deathrattles and even damage-related triggered effects The lightning bolt icon, explicitly indicating a triggered effect Triggered effects are effects that activate in response to specific events. Triggered effects may belong to minions, weapons or spells (in the form of Secrets), as will still go off. Removal such as Flamestrike Flamestrike Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Mage Cost: 7 Abilities: Deal damage Tags: Area of effect Deal 4 damage to all enemy minions.When the ground is on fire, you should not stop, drop, and roll.See and Explosive Trap Explosive Trap Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Hunter Rarity: Common Cost: 2 Abilities: Deal damage, Secret Tags: Area of effect, Combat-related, Triggered effect Secret: When your hero is attacked, deal 2 damage to all enemies.It compensate for fairly low damage by dealing it to multiple targets, but lack control.
- Charge For the card of the same name, see Charge (card) Charge is an ability allowing a minion to attack the same turn it is summoned. Charge is available to all classes, but is most strongly minions and weapons may be considered even less reliable than other soft removal options, due to their vulnerability to being blocked by Taunt The shield-like Taunt visual effect Taunt is a minion ability which forces the opposing player to direct any melee attacks toward enemy targets with this ability. Minions with Taunt (commonly referred to as Taunts) serve , but can provide good card advantage Sometimes, you’ll find yourself in a position where you can easily play your whole hand while your opponent is still holding on to close to the maximum of 10 cards. Unless you can win the , through trading A trade is the loss of one or more cards in exchange for the elimination of one or more enemy cards. Most often, trading refers to minions dying in combat, but the term may be for multiple enemies before being destroyed.
Silence For the card of the same name, see Silence (card). Silence is an ability which removes all current card text, enchantments, and abilities from the targeted minion. It does not remove damage or minion type. can be an effective alternative to removal for minions which rely on their abilities for value, with cards such as Lightspawn Lightspawn Set: Classic Type: Minion Subtype: Elemental Class: Priest Rarity: Common Cost: 4 Attack: 0 Health: 5 Tags: Ongoing effect This minion s Attack is always equal to its Health.Spawn of the Light? Or Pawn of becoming almost worthless once their special abilities have been neutralized. It can also neutralize minions benefiting from enchantments An enchantment, or buff or debuff, is a special effect gained by a minion. Enchantments may be generated by spells, minion texts or abilities such as Battlecries, or other sources, may be temporary or permanent, , such as a Silver Hand Recruit Silver Hand Recruit Set: Basic Type: Minion Class: Paladin Cost: 1 Attack: 1 Health: 1 See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Silver Hand Recruit is an uncollectible paladin minion, created by the paladin Hero with a Blessing of Kings Blessing of Kings Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Paladin Cost: 4 Give a minion +4/+4. (+4 Attack/+4 Health)Given the number of kings who have been assassinated, are you sure you want their blessing?See this card . Be that as it may, unlike true removal the base minion will remain, making this effective only in specific cases.
The area of effect Area of effect (AoE) is the term for an effect which affects all characters of the specified type. Common targets for AoEs include all enemy minions, all minions, and all characters. AoE is defined in destruction of Deathwing Deathwing Set: Classic Type: Minion Subtype: Dragon Rarity: Legendary Cost: 10 Attack: 12 Health: 12 Abilities: Battlecry, Destroy, Discard Battlecry: Destroy all other minions and discard your hand.Once a noble dragon known as Neltharion, Deathwing and Twisting Nether may be the ultimate in board removal, but area of effect cards, especially low-damage ones, aren`t typically considered as removal for specific targets due to their far greater efficiency against multiple minions. If a critical minion is protected by an Elusive or Stealth ability or a player has no other options, be that as it may, exceptions may be made to use an area of effect spell to remove it.
Cards that get a minion off the battlefield for only a short time, such as return to hand effects, don`t typically qualify as removal since they don`t truly eliminate a threat from the game, although they may serve a similar purpose to removal depending on the deck A deck is a collection of exactly 30 cards. All cards drawn by the player during a game come from their deck. Each deck is tied to a specific class. Decks can be created and `s strategy.
Since a variety of card types can serve as removal, it is not practical to provide a complete list, but a few examples of hard removal are provided below. For more comprehensive lists, see the links above.
|Common deck types