Discover is an ability A selection of minions, each with its own ability. From left to right: Divine Shield, Deathrattle, a triggered effect, and Spell Damage. Abilities are special effects, powers, or behaviors found on cards. For spell cards, that allows the player to choose from three different pseudo- randomly Yogg-Saron, arguably the most random card ever released Random effects are effects which include some degree of randomness or RNG (random number generation). Random effects introduce an element of chance into Hearthstone. They can be selected cards Cards are the basic pieces that make up the game of Hearthstone. Each card represents an action that the player can take by playing that card. There are three main types of cards: spell cards, , with the chosen option generated Generate effects are abilities which create new cards and place them into a player s hand, or more rarely shuffle them into the player s deck. They may generate entirely new cards, or combine with a copy and added to their hand. Some Discover effects offer random Hero Powers Anduin Wrynn with the basic priest Hero Power Lesser Heal A Hero Power is a special ability displayed to the right of each hero s portrait. Usually Hero Powers can be used once per turn and , with the chosen option replacing their current Hero Power. Discover involves strong elements of both RNG "I think it’s important for there to be some kind of randomness in the game. I think it creates great stories and I don’t think you want a game that is entirely no RNG. Heck, and strategy, with players having to predict their needs and what will best suit their deck A deck is a collection of exactly 30 cards. All cards drawn by the player during a game come from their deck. Each deck is tied to a specific class. Decks can be created and .
Once Discover is activated, the player is presented with three possible options, selected from a pool of all eligible neutral and class cards matching the player`s current class. The selection process is pseudo-random, with class cards weighted four times more than neutral cards. All current Discover effects featureSpecial attraction selections restricted to specific criteria, such as being spells, Beasts Beasts are a type of minion especially associated with hunters, and to a lesser extent druids. Hunters have a variety of class-specific Beast minions as well as specific ability cards which benefit Beasts. Beasts are , or 1-cost minions. A few exceptions instead provide random cards from a number of specific classes. Some Discover effects such as Arch-Thief Rafaam offer a more specific selection of unique uncollectible Uncollectible cards are cards which although available in-game cannot be collected by players. While these cards are often playable and obtainable by players in the course of a match, they cannot be added to players cards, while Sir Finley Mrrgglton Sir Finley Mrrgglton Set: The League of Explorers Type: Minion Subtype: Murloc Rarity: Legendary Cost: 1 Attack: 1 Health: 3 Abilities: Battlecry, Discover, Replace Hero Power Tags: Hero Power-related Battlecry: Discover a new basic Hero offers basic Hero Powers from any class.
The cards offered by Discover effects are not drawn from the player`s deck, and the player`s deck and hand do not affect the options provided by Discover effects.
- Discover effects will not present duplicate options: each of the three possible choices will be different.
- Players cannot choose not to take one of the cards or Hero Powers offered by a Discover effect. They must choose one of the options. If, be that as it may, the turn timer expires before one of the Discover options is picked, the game will automatically pick the left-most option.verification requested
- Most Discover effects offer only cards that are neutral or match the hero`s current class, and have a chance to present any card that fits these requirements (as well as any additional requirements specified in the card text). Be that as it may, class cards have four times the weighting of neutral cards, ensuring they are presented as options four times more often than they otherwise would be. Note though that because of the far larger pool of neutral cards than that of any given class, in many cases neutral cards are still more commonly presented options.
- Tri-class Discover effects like Lotus Agents Lotus Agents Set: Mean Streets of Gadgetzan Type: Minion Class: Druid, Rogue, Shaman Tri-class: Jade Lotus Rarity: Rare Cost: 5 Attack: 5 Health: 3 Abilities: Battlecry, Discover Battlecry: Discover a Druid, Rogue or Shaman card.Mostly, instead offer one random option from each of three specified classes, regardless of the player`s current class; no neutral options are presented.
- Because of the variable numbers of each type of card, draw probabilities will vary between classes, and depending on the specific Discover effect. For instance, as of The League of Explorers "We ve traversed the tombs of Naxxramas; we ve climbed every cliff on Blackrock. Now, the world cries out for heroes, as a new evil rises. There will be danger! There will be doom! There will be the probabilities when playing Jeweled Scarab Jeweled Scarab Set: The League of Explorers Type: Minion Subtype: Beast Rarity: Common Cost: 2 Attack: 1 Health: 1 Abilities: Battlecry, Discover Tags: Cost-related Battlecry: Discover a (3)-Cost card.It s amazing what you can do with as a warlock The Warlock is one of the nine classes in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, represented by Gul dan. Heroes edit | edit source] Contents 1 Heroes 2 Background 3 Hero Power 3.1 Replacement Hero Powers 4 Strategy have been reported as a 10% chance for a class minion, 20% chance for a class spell and 70% chance for a neutral minion. This roughly matches the number of each type of card available: 3 warlock minions, 4 warlock spells, and 62 neutral minions (taking into account the 4x modifier for class cards). Be that as it may, the probabilities for a mage Contents 1 Heroes 2 Overview 3 Background 4 Hero Power 5 Strategy and gameplay 5.1 Common deck types 5.2 Counters 6 Spells 6.1 Uncollectible 7 Minions 7.1 Uncollectible 8 Leveling rewards 8.1 Starting cards 8.2 playing Jeweled Scarab have been reported as closer to 50/50 between class and neutral cards. Again, this matches the number of cards available: 16 mage cards and 62 neutral cards.
- While the activation of Discover effects can be duplicated by Brann Bronzebeard Brann Bronzebeard Set: The League of Explorers Type: Minion Rarity: Legendary Cost: 3 Attack: 2 Health: 4 Tags: Battlecry-related, Ongoing effect Your Battlecries trigger twice.Contains 75% more fiber than his brother Magni!See this card on , individual Discover events cannot. If a Discover effect is duplicated, the two will be separate events, with their own selections of cards. Be that as it may, there is no special rule preventing the two Discovers from featuring some of the same options simply by chance.
- Using Discover effects as the Lord Jaraxxus Lord Jaraxxus Set: Classic Type: Minion Subtype: Demon Class: Warlock Rarity: Legendary Cost: 9 Attack: 3 Health: 15 Abilities: Battlecry, Equip, Replace Hero Power Tags: Hero Power-related, Weapon-generating Battlecry: Destroy your hero and replace it hero offers cards as though you were playing as a warlock.
- Be that as it may, using Discover effects as the Ragnaros Majordomo Executus Set: Blackrock Mountain Type: Minion Rarity: Legendary Cost: 9 Attack: 9 Health: 7 Abilities: Deathrattle, Replace, Replace Hero Power Tags: Hero Power-related Deathrattle: Replace your hero with Ragnaros, the Firelord.You thought Executus turned hero has a different behaviour depending on the card.
- If the card with the Discover effect is a neutral card, the game randomly picks 1 of the 9 classes and offers you cards as though you played the Discover card as that class.
- If the card with the Discover effect is a class card, the game offers you cards as though you played the Discover card as that class.
- If a Discover effect occurs while your hand is full (such as due to Gadgetzan Auctioneer Gadgetzan Auctioneer Set: Classic Type: Minion Rarity: Rare Cost: 6 Attack: 4 Health: 4 Abilities: Draw cards Tags: Spell-related, Triggered effect Whenever you cast a spell, draw a card.He used to run the black market ), the card will not be added to your hand, and your opponent will be able to see which card you picked in the sidebar.
- The card chosen by the Discover effect is not placed in your hand until the end of the current Sequence While most rules in Hearthstone are fairly easy to ascertain, when several effects, each with their own behaviours, are brought into conflict, things can get a little more complicated. The advanced rulebook offers a comprehensive , meaning that it is possible for your hand to become full in the mean time, discarding the card you chose. For instance, if you have a 10/10 card hand, play Raven Idol Raven Idol Set: The League of Explorers Type: Spell Class: Druid Rarity: Common Cost: 1 Abilities: Choose One, Discover Tags: Spell-generating Choose One - Discover a minion; or Discover a spell.Was petrified when it found and have a Wild Pyromancer Wild Pyromancer Set: Classic Type: Minion Rarity: Rare Cost: 2 Attack: 3 Health: 2 Abilities: Deal damage Tags: Area of effect, Spell-related, Triggered effect After you cast a spell, deal 1 damage to ALL minions.BOOM and Acolyte of Pain Acolyte of Pain Set: Classic Type: Minion Rarity: Common Cost: 3 Attack: 1 Health: 3 Abilities: Draw cards Tags: Damage-related, Triggered effect Whenever this minion takes damage, draw a card.He trained when he was younger in play, the card chosen will float in the air, Acolyte of Pain triggering off of Wild Pyromancer`s damage will fill your hand, and finally the card chosen will be discarded.
- If you play a Discover Battlecry Battlecry is an ability where a particular effect activates when the card with the Battlecry is played directly from the hand. Although mostly limited to minions, some weapons also have Battlecries. Activation of Battlecries are minion, the first Discover effect will not put its card in your hand until the end of the current Sequence (e.g. after death processing following the After Summon Phase While most rules in Hearthstone are fairly easy to ascertain, when several effects, each with their own behaviours, are brought into conflict, things can get a little more complicated. The advanced rulebook offers a comprehensive resolves). Then, if you control Brann Bronzebeard Brann Bronzebeard Set: The League of Explorers Type: Minion Rarity: Legendary Cost: 3 Attack: 2 Health: 4 Tags: Battlecry-related, Ongoing effect Your Battlecries trigger twice.Contains 75% more fiber than his brother Magni!See this card on , you will get a second Discover effect. Note that the played minion does not have to be alive at this time, only Brann Bronzebeard does. Also note that normally Brann Bronzebeard has to be in your control during the Battlecry Phase While most rules in Hearthstone are fairly easy to ascertain, when several effects, each with their own behaviours, are brought into conflict, things can get a little more complicated. The advanced rulebook offers a comprehensive .
- This section contains information exclusive to Wild format.
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
|Dark Peddler||Common||Minion||Warlock||2||2||2||Battlecry: Discover a 1-Cost card.I`m offering you a bargain here! This amazing vacuum cleaner for your soul!|
|Ethereal Conjurer||Common||Minion||Mage||5||6||3||Battlecry: Discover a spell.Despite the name, he`s a solid conjurer.|
|Gorillabot A-3||Common||Minion||Mech||Any||4||3||4||Battlecry: If you control another Mech, Discover a Mech.A-1 and A-2 went nuts, when they should have gone bolts.|
|Jeweled Scarab Jeweled Scarab Set: The League of Explorers Type: Minion Subtype: Beast Rarity: Common Cost: 2 Attack: 1 Health: 1 Abilities: Battlecry, Discover Tags: Cost-related Battlecry: Discover a (3)-Cost card.It s amazing what you can do with||Common||Minion||Beast||Any||2||1||1||Battlecry: Discover a (3)-Cost card.It`s amazing what you can do with super glue!|
|Museum Curator||Common||Minion||Priest||2||1||2||Battlecry: Discover a Deathrattle card.He is forever cursing the kids who climb on the rails and the evil archeologists who animate the exhibits.|
|Raven Idol Raven Idol Set: The League of Explorers Type: Spell Class: Druid Rarity: Common Cost: 1 Abilities: Choose One, Discover Tags: Spell-generating Choose One - Discover a minion; or Discover a spell.Was petrified when it found||Common||Spell||Druid||1||Choose One - |
Discover a minion; or Discover a spell.Was petrified when it found out it didn`t make the cut for Azerothian Idol.
|Tomb Spider||Common||Minion||Beast||Any||4||3||3||Battlecry: Discover a Beast.Less serious than its cousin, the Grave Spider.|
|Arch-Thief Rafaam||Legendary||Minion||Any||9||7||8||Battlecry: Discover a powerful Artifact.He`s very good at retrieving artifacts. From other people`s museums.|
|Sir Finley Mrrgglton Sir Finley Mrrgglton Set: The League of Explorers Type: Minion Subtype: Murloc Rarity: Legendary Cost: 1 Attack: 1 Health: 3 Abilities: Battlecry, Discover, Replace Hero Power Tags: Hero Power-related Battlecry: Discover a new basic Hero||Legendary||Minion||Murloc||Any||1||1||3||Battlecry: Discover a new basic Hero Power.In addition to fluent Common, he also speaks fourteen dialects of `mrgl`.|
|Showing all 9 cards|
- Discover is intended to provide a balance between random generate effects like Unstable Portal and regular card draw. While the latter can make games more predictable through accelerating the player`s progress through their deck, and the former can prove too unpredictable due to the extremely large and non-class limited pool of potential cards, Discover effects are intended to add variety to games without excessively disturbing class balance, and while still allowing players some control over which card they gain.
- The Discover ability was originally called "Treasure", a name which is still found in the game`s strings. The original idea was pitched by Mike Donais, before design work had started on The Grand Tournament, but the developers did not start experimenting with adding it to cards until they began work on The League of Explorers "We ve traversed the tombs of Naxxramas; we ve climbed every cliff on Blackrock. Now, the world cries out for heroes, as a new evil rises. There will be danger! There will be doom! There will be .
- The developers tried different places for the Discovered card to go, including the top of the deck, and shuffling it into the deck at random. The former proved problematic because of shuffle into deck effects, which not only adds cards to the player`s deck, but also shuffle the entire undrawn deck; as a result, activating such an effect after a Discover effect would cause the chosen card to become lost in the player`s deck, losing much of the value and making the mechanic less reliable. Conversely, if this didn`t happen, the card drawn at the start of the next turn would already be known by the player. This removed the surprise at the drawing of an unknown card, and in tough situations often led to a feeling of powerlessness, since the player would know in advance that they were not going to draw next turn a card that was capable of dealing with the state of the board; or otherwise know in advance that they would draw the card they needed,thus taking "the drama and excitement" out of the game. The idea of shuffling the chosen card into the deck was likewise discarded due to the likelihood of the match ending before the card was drawn, thus making the effect feel unimportant and unreliable. In addition, adding the card to the top of the player`s deck was an a further innovation on top of the Discover effect itself, and the designers felt it wiser "not try to do too many things all at once in a new mechanic".
- In terms of card balance, through playtesting the designers found that Discover was in most cases fairly similar in value to a card draw effect. This allowed them to use the established weighting of card draw effects to guide them in choosing stats for Discover minions.
- One of the last decisions made during the development of Discover was to restrict the effect to neutral and class cards. Prior to this, Discover effects were able to generate any card. With a far larger card pool to choose from, this made it much harder for players to predict which card an opponent`s Discover effect had provided, and making the effect almost impossible to play around. The game-wide card pool also produced too much "class bleed", with other classes gaining access to the cards of other classes on too frequent a basis, weakening class uniqueness.
- The final tweak to the ability was to increase the likelihood of class cards appearing, eventually set to four times the normal chance. This was made in order to balance the far larger number of neutral cards, ensuring that class cards would be well-represented. A similar solution had already been put in place for Arena.
- After exploring the ability with The League of Explorers, the developers began experimenting with ways to feature Discover in a Tavern Brawl, partly because they were also working on the first round of Tavern Brawls at that time.
- It was eventually decided for the Discover mechanic to debut through the Captain Blackheart`s Treasure Tavern Brawl in Oct. 2015. Be that as it may, technical problems prevented this, and the keyword was instead announced in Nov. at BlizzCon 2015 with its accompanying adventure, The League of Explorers "We ve traversed the tombs of Naxxramas; we ve climbed every cliff on Blackrock. Now, the world cries out for heroes, as a new evil rises. There will be danger! There will be doom! There will be .
- Discover was developed "kind of" independently of The League of Explorers. Ben Brode states, "We just kind of smashed them together and it turned out that they felt very natural together." The name change from "Treasure" to "Discover" was influenced by the keyword`s debut with the adventure, though.
- Every possible target on the board for the spell or Ability.
- To be on the offensive either by attacking an opponents card or your opponent himself/herself
- There are a group of common keywords that are used on multiple cards that are collectively called abilities. They can for example specify when the action will happen, or how. These keywords are written in bold on the cards.
- Aggro Deck
- See Area of Effect
- Arcane Dust
- The ingredient used to craft new Hearthstone cards. Can only be obtained in two ways: as a reward for doing Arena or through Disenchanting an existing card in your possession. Crafting costs depend on the rarity of a card and whether it is Golden or not.
- Common - 40 Dust
- Golden Common - 400 Dust
- Rare - 100 Dust
- Golden Rare - 800 Dust
- Epic - 400 Dust
- Golden Epic - 1600 Dust
- Legendary - 1600 Dust
- Golden Legendary - 3200 Dust
- A Hearthstone game mode. In this mode, players can choose to either pay 150 Gold or real money ($1.99/⅁1.49/⃢₂ⅹ1.79) to enter. In Arena, you are given a random draft of three classes to pick then must pick cards individually out of a choice of three cards until you have completed your deck. Unlike Constructed, there is no limit to how many copies of the same card you may possess in your deck.
- In an Arena run, you compete against other players to win as many games as possible. An Arena run will end when you either win twelve times, retire, or lose three times. Winning Arena games will upgrade the key in your possession, which will improve the spoils (You will receive five boxes of rewards, each having a chance to contain Gold, Arcane Dust or a Pack). You are always guaranteed to get a pack of cards, but if you do well enough it is possible to get two. Generally speaking, a Diamond Key (7 wins or above) is usually required to earn back the Arena entry fee in Gold while a Lightforge Key (12 wins) will earn you the greatest possible reward.
- Area of Effect
- Spells or attacks that affect more than a single target and either specifies a certain general area or an area emanating from a source point.
- A resource similar to Health, that can be gained through the hero powers Armor Up! and Shapeshift, or spells like Shield Block, Ice Barrier and Bite. Armor gets removed before Health when taking damage, but you lose the game if your Health drops to 0 even if you manage to gain some Armor after taking the damage.
- Attack Power
- The attack power of a minion is the amount of damage it can do on each attack.
- An ability that is triggered immediately, when a minion is summoned.
- Powers and cards played with the purpose of lowering the health of the enemy hero, disregarding board control.
- A character is either your hero₠or any minion on the battlefield.
- This Ability lets a minion attack during the turn it is summoned.
- Choose One
- This Ability gives you the option to choose between two spell effects when playing a spell, or between two minion Battlecry effects when playing a minion. This ability is associated with the Druid class.
- A card with the ability Combo gets the ability triggered it if is not the first card that is played that turn, i.e. it is played in a combo with another card. Playing The Coin does trigger the Combo ability. Hero Power does not enable Combo. This ability is associated with the Rogue class.
- Refers to any Hearthstone game mode in which the player is allowed to use decks they have built from their own card collection. In any constructed deck, the player is allowed a maximum of two of each common/rare/epic card and a maximum of one of each legendary card.
- Control Deck
- A deck that aims to win through board control. Usually these type of decks have high emphasis on removal spells and lack burn damage. Most notable archetypes are Handlock Control Warrior and Control Priest.
- A card that is given to the player who is going second at the start of the match. It grants the player 1 extra Mana Crystal for one turn only when they use it.
- Ability that is triggered when the minion dies.
- The set of 30 cards that player uses in a game of Hearthstone. Player draws one card from the deck each turn until there are no cards left, after which the player will be Fatigued
- Remove a minion from the board. There is no damage dealt so Divine Shield is ignored.
- When a Discover ability is activated player is presented with three random cards to choose from and to take into one`s hand.
- Disenchanting cards will give you Arcane Dust. It`s good to use when you have many duplicates. Rarer cards provide more Arcane Dust. Basic cards cannot be disenchanted.
- Common - 5 Dust
- Golden Common - 50 Dust
- Rare - 20 Dust
- Golden Rare - 100 Dust
- Epic - 100 Dust
- Golden Epic - 400 Dust
- Legendary - 400 Dust
- Golden Legendary - 1600 Dust
- Divine Shield
- Absorbs one attack or spell/effect that deals damage before the minion itself takes any damage.
- Dream Cards
- Cards that a player draws at the end of each turn while having Ysera on the board.
- Number of times a hero can attack with a weapon before it is destroyed.
- This Ability is triggered when a minion takes damage.
- Fast decks
- Typically all-out decks that play many small aggressive minions, trying to close out the game as early as possible, leading to fast victories or defeats.
- When you are out of remaining cards in your deck and the start of your turn or a card effect makes you draw a card, you take fatigue damage. The first time you`re out of cards, it`s 1 damage, the second time, it`s 2 damage, and so on until you or your opponent is dead.
- Cannot attack for one turn, Hero abilities can still be used (although Rogues and Druids would be unable to attack with said Hero abilities.
- Gold is the in-game currency. It cannot be directly purchased, but is instead won through arena matches and/or playing in matchmade constructed games.
- The amount of life a card or hero has left before it is discarded or, in the case of a hero, loses the game.
- Hit Points (HP)
- See Health
- Everything is ineffective and damage cannot be inflicted to you.
- An effect that activates when the owner of the minion uses a Hero Power.
- Mana is used to play cards. Your current mana is displayed in the bottom right of the screen. Each card requires a certain amount of mana to be summoned. You start with one Mana; at the start of each player`s turn mana is fully restored and the mana pool gets increased by one until both players have 10 Mana. Certain cards can increase a player`s mana pool.
- Medals were an early ranking system in Hearthstone. Players started at Apprentice and based on their ladder performance in ranked games could work their way up to a higher medal. You did not lose Medals for losing games. This system was replaced with the current ladder system before launch.
- Mill Deck
- Milling is the act of flooding your opponent`s hand, making him discard cards due to drawing over the 10 card limit.
- Minion is a character with health and attack values that players summon to the board by playing minion cards or certain spells such as Feral Spirit
- To mulligan a card is to discard it from your initial hand and draw a replacement from the remaining deck. You are allowed to mulligan as many cards as you want from your initial draw, but this can only be done before turn 1.
- Murloc Deck
- Deck that focuses on Murlocs. One of the most aggressive decks in the game. Most commonly used by warlocks, since they can use Life Tap to draw a lot of cards to keep the aggression going. Very susceptible to Area of Effect.
- One Turn Kill
- A combination of cards that leads to killing an opponent in one turn.
- See One Turn Kill
- Reduces the amount of mana a player can use the next turn.
- Hearthstone cards are purchased in packs. Each pack has five cards in them, at least one of them being Rare or of higher rarity. Packs may also contain Golden cards or multiples of same card. Packs are earned as rewards or can be bought from the in-game store.
- Plain Card
- A plain card is a minion which has no text on it, ie. it only has Mana Cost, Attack Power, and Hit Points.
- See Attack Power
- The act of playing cards that add mana crystals to your mana pool in order to play high mana creatures faster than your opponent. This includes cards that increase your mana pool temporarily (The Coin and Innervate) or permanently (Wild Growth, Nourish).
- In order from least rare to most rare: Common(White), Rare(Blue), Epic(Purple), Legendary(Orange). Although it mainly determines how uncommon certain cards would appear in a Pack, it also determines the crafting cost (in Arcane Dust) of a card. Rarity does not necessarily correlate to power.
- A term applied to cards that deal damage or Destroy one or more minions on the turn they are played.
- A Spell that is triggered when a certain action occurs (ex. attacking an enemy minion). The identity of a secret is hidden from the opponent until it is triggered, portrayed only as question mark graphic above the casting hero`s portrait.
- This Ability removes any effects (ex. +1/+1, taunt) from the chosen target(s). This does not remove spells like Hex or Polymorph that turn the creature into something else, although it would remove the taunt from the Hexed creature. Casting silence on a creature that is silenced already does not remove the first silence. You can use silence on your own creatures however to remove enemy spells such as Humility that negatively affect your minions.
- Slow decks
- Decks that try to stall out the game until high mana turns where they can bring out impactful minions like Ancient of War, Ysera and Ragnaros.
- Cards that belong to the Basic set. They cannot be disenchanted and are available for all players. Also Reward cards belong to this category.
- Spell Damage
- Each point of Spell Damage makes spells deal one additional damage. It also applies to some spells like Shadowflame and healing spells with Auchenai Soulpriest.
- Standard Format
- A type of game mode where only the recent 2 years of Hearthstone cards can be used. Classic and Basic cards are always usable in Standard.
After coming out of Standard rotation, cards are classed as Wild
- This Ability makes a minion untargetable by attacks or targeted spells/effects. They still take damage from Area of Effect spells/effects, and can still be hit from spells that hit a random target. They can also be hit by spells that target adjacent minions. An Explosive Shot that targets a minion will still do 2 damage to the stealthed minion next to it. Stealth is removed after the minion attacks.
- A Minion category that generally has synergies within its type and with some spells (example Timber Wolf and Kill Command). Currently, there are seven subtypes: Beast, Dragon, Demon, Mech, Murloc, Pirate and Totem.
- This Ability forces enemy characters to attack this minion before any other minion without taunt or your hero. If there are multiple minions with taunt you can choose which of them to attack.
- To be determined - Something yet to be determined such as tournament participants, or release date. In terms of release dates, TBA (To be announced) can also be used.
- A general concept used not only in TCGs but also in other strategy games such as Chess and Starcraft that refers to who has the initiative in a game. If, for example, both players play some minions but yours can attack first, you are said to have tempo.
- Tempo Deck
- A deck designed to gain the initiative in a game, often through a lower Mana Curve, cards holding significant Value relative to their Mana cost, and a healthy dose of Control options. Not to be confused with a Rush Deck which will often aim to win the game outright in a short number of turns with a tiny Mana Curve.
- A card that is summoned by another card, such as Violet Apprentice, Gnoll, Silver Hand Recruit and Wicked Knife.
- Token Deck
- A deck that floods the board with small, weak minions using cards like Violet Teacher, Haunted Creeper or Muster for Battle to get high value from buffs such as Power of the Wild, Bloodlust, Hobgoblin and Savage Roar.
- Drawing a powerful card that turns the game around in your favor while faced with a major card disadvantage (i.e. either having no or very few cards on your hand or in play) compared to your opponent. A term often used in other card games (particularly YuGiOh where some deck archetypes were notorious for top-decking.)
- See Subtype
- Value can be defined in two different ways:
- 1. By the effects and stats of a card relative to its Mana and Card cost (if applicable.) For example, Novice Engineer is deemed to be a valuable card due to its "Draw a card" Battlecry, Knife Juggler can potentially provide great value each time you play a minion and the Dark Iron Dwarf is deemed very valuable for a 4 Mana 4/4 due to its Battlecry which grants an additional 2 Attack to a minion.
- 2. A metric used to describe the efficiency of a certain play. For example, the act of eliminating a Bluegill Warrior with an Elven Archer`s Battlecry can be deemed valuable both in terms of card advantage and Mana cost due to a 1 Mana 1/1 minion eliminating a 2 Mana 2/1 Charge minion with only its Battlecry (meaning the attacker who played the Archer did not lose the minion in the process.)
- This Ability allows a minion to attack twice in one turn.
- Wild Format (game type)
- A game type that allows any card in Hearthstone to be used in a deck. Standard decks are allowed, but not the other way round. See Standard Format above for information.