Burst damage or burst potential refers to a player`s ability to deal a large amount of damage Damage in Hearthstone is a particular infliction of harm upon heroes or minions, measured by a number which is deducted from their Health and/or Armor (if they have any). If a character s Health is reduced in one or two turns, allowing a player to finish off a previously damaged opponent, or deal an overwhelming amount of damage that the opponent cannot quickly recover from. It can play a role both in aggro decks An aggro deck or aggressive deck, also known as a rush deck, is a deck that takes an aggressive approach of dealing damage to the opponent as quickly as possible, generally through the summoning of , which may need burst damage to finish off the weakened opponent if the opponent is able to win back the tempo Tempo is an unofficial term that describes which way the "momentum" of a match is going, as well as a label for decks which aim to keep tempo on their side. It is one of , and in control decks A control deck, also known as a late game deck, is a deck that attempts to attain victory in the late game, through a combination of early game removal and Taunts, and powerful cards in , which may use burst damage as the primary mechanism for killing the opponent after playing defensively for most of the game.
Burst potential stands in contrast to repeated damage done by minions Bloodfen Raptor, a simple minion card. A Beast-type minion, it has 3 Attack, 2 Health and a mana cost of 2. Minions are persistent creatures on the battlefield that will fight for their hero. Minion while controlling the board The battlefield (or game board) is where the action takes place, representing the board on which each game is played out. Around the battlefield are various important UI elements, such as each player s hand, deck . While such minions can do significant damage simply by staying in play and attacking over many turns, burst damage is characterized by its use of one-time effects played from the hand to generate a surge in damage output, possibly in combination with minions and weapons Garrosh Hellscream ready to attack using an equipped Fiery War Axe For the equip ability, see Equip Weapons are special cards which can be equipped by heroes. Each weapon has an Attack value and a already in play.
A one turn kill (OTK) is a concept closely related to burst damage, describing defeating the opponent in a single turn, generally as a result of strong burst damage. The exact definition of a one turn kill varies: for some it requires taking the opponent from 30 to 0 Health in a single turn, with no cards previously played, while for others it simply requires dealing a large and lethal Lethal is a term used in Hearthstone to refer to damage sufficient to defeat the enemy hero, and win the game. "Having lethal" is used as a measure of imminent and unavoidable success, similar to amount of damage in one turn.
Large amounts of burst damage often are used to damage the opponent`s hero See more: Hero The face is a slang term for a player s hero as the target for damaging attacks and effects, as opposed to minions. "Going face" or "attacking the face" refer to focusing one s rather than minions, for several reasons. Foremost is that by the time a player has the resources to launch such an onslaught of damage, the opponent may already be close enough to dead to finish them off. Or, they may be brought low enough that the player expects to be able to force through a victory shortly thereafter. Another is that the damage combination might account for so much of the damage-dealing potential of the deck that the player is unlikely to be able to actually kill the opponent without it. Furthermore, depending on the specific combination used, it may be difficult to distribute the damage among enemy minions without wasting much of its potential, since most minions don`t have double-digit health. Also, if minions produce the damage burst, hitting the enemy player is "free" in that the minions take no damage in the process, remaining as threats the opponent must address - perhaps by trading A trade is the loss of one or more cards in exchange for the elimination of one or more enemy cards. Most often, trading refers to minions dying in combat, but the term may be their own minions anyway. Be that as it may, some high burst damage methods are more flexible and may be used efficiently to board control the enemy, depending on the situation.
Smaller amounts of unexpected damage can be highly valuable in making favorable trades. These usages are not what is primarily thought of as "burst damage", but technically even the smallest attack buff that was not visible on the board beforehand could be called "burst", since it is above and beyond the amount the opponent knew to expect based solely on known minions.
Burst may be generated from spells Fireball, a simple mage spell. It costs 4 mana, dealing 6 damage to a chosen target. Spell cards are cards that can be played to trigger a one time effect or ability, described in the , minions with Charge For the card of the same name, see Charge (card) Charge is an ability allowing a minion to attack the same turn it is summoned. Charge is available to all classes, but is most strongly and damaging abilities, and combinations of cards that increase each other`s effectiveness. Mana Mana is the resource used in Hearthstone to play cards and use Hero Powers, each of which has a mana cost that must be paid to use it. The supply of mana is represented by acceleration and Spell Damage A Wrath of Air Totem, with purple sparkles to signal its Spell Damage bonus Spell Damage is an ability which boosts the overall damage of spells by the listed amount. Spell Damage does not increase are common ways to enhance burst power.
While there are some neutral Neutral is the term used to describe cards which are not limited to a specific class. Neutral collectible cards can be included in any deck, regardless of hero. Neutral cards use a plain, grey card minions capable of contributing to burst damage, such as Leeroy Jenkins Leeroy Jenkins Set: Classic Type: Minion Rarity: Legendary Cost: 5 Attack: 6 Health: 2 Abilities: Battlecry, Charge, Summon Tags: Dragon-generating Charge. Battlecry: Summon two 1/1 Whelps for your opponent.At least he has Angry Chicken.See this , the most powerful combinations tend to require some class-specific spells, weapons, and minion abilities that synergize for as much damage as possible. Specific burst combinations therefore vary widely between classes. The following list suggests one or two typical strategies each, but it is far from comprehensive:
- Mages may simply use a series of direct damage spells to deal high damage, particularly mana-efficient combinations like Ice Lances Ice Lance Set: Hall of Fame Type: Spell Class: Mage Rarity: Common Cost: 1 Abilities: Deal damage, Freeze Tags: Frozen-related Freeze a character. If it was already Frozen, deal 4 damage instead.The trick is not following a Frostbolt Frostbolt Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Mage Cost: 2 Abilities: Deal damage, Freeze Deal 3 damage to a character and Freeze it.It is customary to yell "Chill out!" or "Freeze!" or "Ice ice, baby!" when .
- Warlocks can use Power Overwhelming Power Overwhelming Set: Hall of Fame Type: Spell Class: Warlock Rarity: Common Cost: 1 Abilities: Destroy Tags: Triggered effect Give a friendly minion +4/+4 until end of turn. Then, it dies. Horribly.We cannot even describe on a charging minion, and may use Faceless Manipulator Faceless Manipulator Set: Classic Type: Minion Rarity: Epic Cost: 5 Attack: 3 Health: 3 Abilities: Battlecry, Copy, Transform Battlecry: Choose a minion and become a copy of it.The Faceless Ones are servants of Yogg-Saron, and to duplicate it for an additional massive hit. Soulfire Soulfire Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Warlock Cost: 1 Abilities: Deal damage, Discard Tags: Random Deal 4 damage. Discard a random card.Are you lighting a soul on fire? Or burning someone with your OWN soul? provides another source of cheap damage.
- Warriors can Enrage An Enraged minion Enrage is a minion ability where the stated effect becomes active only when the minion is damaged. If the minion is healed back to full Health, the Enrage effect will be cancelled. a charging Grommash Hellscream Grommash Hellscream Set: Classic Type: Minion Class: Warrior Rarity: Legendary Cost: 8 Attack: 4 Health: 9 Abilities: Charge, Enrage ChargeEnrage: +6 AttackGrommash drank the tainted blood of Mannoroth, dooming the orcs to green skin and for strong burst, usually as a finishing move.
- Rogues have spells like Preparation Preparation Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Rogue Rarity: Epic Cost: 0 Abilities: Modify cost Tags: Spell-related The next spell you cast this turn costs (3) less."Be Prepared" - Rogue MottoSee this card on Hearthpwn data and Shadowstep Shadowstep Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Rogue Rarity: Common Cost: 0 Abilities: Modify cost, Return to hand Return a friendly minion to your hand. It costs (2) less.Rogue dance troops will sometimes Shadowstep away at to enable more damaging spells and charging minions to be played in a turn than would otherwise be possible, as well as powerful weapon combinations using Deadly Poison Deadly Poison Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Rogue Cost: 1 Tags: Weapon-related Give your weapon +2 Attack.Rogues guard the secrets to poison-making carefully, lest magi start incorporating poison into their spells. Poisonbolt? Rain of Poison? , Tinker`s Sharpsword Oil Tinker s Sharpsword Oil Set: Goblins vs Gnomes Type: Spell Class: Rogue Rarity: Common Cost: 4 Abilities: Combo Tags: Random, Weapon-related Give your weapon +3 Attack. Combo: Give a random friendly minion +3 Attack."Get ready to and Blade Flurry Blade Flurry Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Rogue Rarity: Rare Cost: 4 Abilities: Deal damage, Destroy Tags: Area of effect, Attack-related, Weapon-related Destroy your weapon and deal its damage to all enemy minions."Look, it s not .
- Hunters can employ Unleash the Hounds Unleash the Hounds Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Hunter Rarity: Common Cost: 3 Abilities: Charge, Summon Tags: Battlefield-related, Beast-generating For each enemy minion, summon a 1/1 Hound with Charge.You must read the name of this together with other beast synergies like Timber Wolf Timber Wolf Set: Basic Type: Minion Subtype: Beast Class: Hunter Cost: 1 Attack: 1 Health: 1 Tags: Beast-related, Ongoing effect Your other Beasts have +1 Attack.Other beasts totally dig hanging out with timber wolves.See this , Leokk Leokk Set: Basic Type: Minion Subtype: Beast Class: Hunter Cost: 3 Attack: 2 Health: 4 Tags: Area of effect, Ongoing effect Your other minions have +1 Attack.See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Leokk is , and the cheap Kill Command Kill Command Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Hunter Cost: 3 Abilities: Deal damage Tags: Beast-related Deal 3 damage. If you have a Beast, deal 5 damage instead."Kill!", he commanded.See this card on Hearthpwn data page] to produce quite a lot of damage.
- Shamans have the ability to apply Rockbiter Weapons Rockbiter Weapon Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Shaman Cost: 2 Give a friendly character +3 Attack this turn.This would be real handy if your enemy is made of rock.See this card on Hearthpwn data page] and/or Flametongue Totem Flametongue Totem Set: Basic Type: Minion Subtype: Totem Class: Shaman Cost: 2 Attack: 0 Health: 3 Tags: Ongoing effect, Positional effect Adjacent minions have +2 Attack.Totemsmiths like to use the rarest woods for their totems. to characters with Windfury A minion with Windfury A hero with Windfury For the card of the same name, see Windfury (card) Windfury is an ability which allows a character to attack twice per turn. Windfury is most commonly , or use Bloodlust Bloodlust Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Shaman Cost: 5 Tags: Area of effect Give your minions +3 Attack this turn.blaarghghLLGHRHARAAHAHHH!!See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Bloodlust is a shaman spell card, from the Basic to turn a field of seemingly weak minions into massive damage. Overload A player with 1 mana Overloaded this turn, and 2 mana Overloaded for next turn. Overload is an ability which reduces the amount of mana available the next turn by the stated amount, indicated in allows shaman to defer the cost of spells like Lava Burst Lava Burst Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Shaman Rarity: Rare Cost: 3 Abilities: Deal damage, Overload Deal 5 damage. Overload: (2)It s like an ocean of liquid magma in your mouth!See this card on Hearthpwn data , Crackle Crackle Set: Goblins vs Gnomes Type: Spell Class: Shaman Rarity: Common Cost: 2 Abilities: Deal damage, Overload Tags: Random Deal 3-6 damage. Overload: (1)Snap! This card! Pop!See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Crackle is , and Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Shaman Rarity: Common Cost: 1 Abilities: Deal damage, Overload Deal 3 damage. Overload: (1)Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Lightning bolt is to later turns, making them good sources of rapid damage as well.
- Priests are not very strong at dealing damage straight from the hand, preferring instead to control the board Board control is an unofficial term usually referring to a player s ability to keep the opponent from building up minions on the battlefield, or "board". Control decks are named after this strategy, aiming to control . Be that as it may, priests can combine multiple Divine Spirits with Inner Fire Inner Fire Set: Classic Type: Spell Class: Priest Rarity: Common Cost: 1 Change a minion s Attack to be equal to its Health.Good idea: Buffing your minions. Bad idea: Starting a conversation in the Barrens.See this on a high-health minion to shockingly great effect. They can also use Confuse Confuse Set: The Grand Tournament Type: Spell Class: Priest Rarity: Epic Cost: 2 Tags: Area of effect Swap the Attack and Health of all minions.This minion is really powerful!See this card on Hearthpwn data page] for bursting with either high health minions or with Divine Spirit Divine Spirit Set: Basic Type: Spell Class: Priest Cost: 2 Double a minion s Health.Double the trouble. Double the fun!See this card on Hearthpwn data page] Divine Spirit is a priest spell card, from the Basic .
- Paladins too tend to depend on board control over burst damage. Be that as it may, their Blessing of Might can be used in similar combinations as Power Overwhelming Power Overwhelming Set: Hall of Fame Type: Spell Class: Warlock Rarity: Common Cost: 1 Abilities: Destroy Tags: Triggered effect Give a friendly minion +4/+4 until end of turn. Then, it dies. Horribly.We cannot even describe , while Blessed Champion serves as another way to double the resulting attack.
The following combos are no longer possible due to card changes.
- Prior to Patch 184.108.40.20630 (2016-10-03) Charge For the card of the same name, see Charge (card) Charge is an ability allowing a minion to attack the same turn it is summoned. Charge is available to all classes, but is most strongly `s text was "Give a friendly minion +2 Attack and Charge." Strong example uses were Raging Worgen and Frothing Berserker, both of which when used in combination with Whirlwind or similar effects can increase their power dramatically.
- Prior to Patch 220.127.116.1174ℂ₂(2016-04-24), the Treants summoned by Force of Nature had Charge. Combining Force of Nature with Savage Roar was a very popular druid combo, frequently used as a OTK.
Killing minions likely to be used in burst combinations is always a good idea, although damage played entirely from the hand is of course immune to this board control strategy, forcing opponents to address its threat preemptively rather than reactively. Other defenses against burst damage include Taunt minions to stop Charge For the card of the same name, see Charge (card) Charge is an ability allowing a minion to attack the same turn it is summoned. Charge is available to all classes, but is most strongly , prevention of spellcasting with Loatheb or Counterspell, and simply keeping life totals too high to die in one turn, possibly using healing or Armor effects. Keeping the opponent on the defensive, thereby forcing them to use up their damage spells on minions, may also pressure them out of accumulating enough cards to play a successful burst combination.
|Common deck types|