The Map is the playing field for all Dota 2 matches. It is comprised of two sides, one for the Radiant Radiant Associated with Heroes Arc Warden Factions Dire Places Mad Moon Cosmetics Radiant Ore Other Lore Radiant OreNemesis Stones The Radiant is a faction in Dota 2. It is characterized by a bright, natural theme. faction, and one for the Dire Dire Associated with Heroes Arc Warden Factions Radiant Places Mad Moon Other Lore DirestoneNemesis Stones The Dire is a faction in Dota 2. It is characterized by a dark, gloomy theme. The top right half faction. To win, players must destroy the opposing side`s Ancient Ancient Building Level 1 Health 4250 Health regeneration 3 Armor 15 Magic resistance 0% Collision size 298 Vision range 2600 • 2600 (G) Bounty 0 Experience 0 Notes Abilities: Backdoor Protection True Sight This article , an important building at the center of each team`s base. The map is represented in the interface Play “Singing trio.” It has been suggested that this article or section be split into multiple new articles. Reason given: The shop should get its own page Discussion to support or oppose the split should be by the minimap The minimap is a HUD element that represents the game map on a smaller scale. It displays in real time the location and status of buildings, heroes, creeps, couriers and wards. The minimap is subject .
Each faction occupies a diagonal half of the map, separated in the middle by the river. The Radiant Radiant Associated with Heroes Arc Warden Factions Dire Places Mad Moon Cosmetics Radiant Ore Other Lore Radiant OreNemesis Stones The Radiant is a faction in Dota 2. It is characterized by a bright, natural theme. is based at the lower left corner of the map, while the Dire Dire Associated with Heroes Arc Warden Factions Radiant Places Mad Moon Other Lore DirestoneNemesis Stones The Dire is a faction in Dota 2. It is characterized by a dark, gloomy theme. The top right half is based at the upper right corner. The Ancients are located inside strongholds at the heart of each faction`s territory.
The map is segmented into three different lanes, the top, the bottom, and the middle lane. Each one of these lanes leads to the other team`s base, guarded by towers along the way. During the early laning phase of the game, most gameplay is centered around the lanes.
The bottom lane for the Radiant Radiant Associated with Heroes Arc Warden Factions Dire Places Mad Moon Cosmetics Radiant Ore Other Lore Radiant OreNemesis Stones The Radiant is a faction in Dota 2. It is characterized by a bright, natural theme. , and the top lane for the Dire Dire Associated with Heroes Arc Warden Factions Radiant Places Mad Moon Other Lore DirestoneNemesis Stones The Dire is a faction in Dota 2. It is characterized by a dark, gloomy theme. The top right half , are considered safe lanes. Creeps Creeps are basic units in Dota 2. Every unit which is not a hero, building, ward or courier is considered a creep. Creeps can belong to either faction, be neutral, or be player-controlled units. Unlike meet each other close to the towers, which provide greater protection from enemies. These lanes are recommended for beginners, as they provide some added protection against ganking Play “By the forge of creation.” This section is under construction. It may still lack crucial information or contain unvalidated statements. You can help by coordinating with the autors and offer your help. Ganking is the .
The River separates the two factional sides of the map. It is surrounded by high ground, which blocks players` vision Vision changes around while the hero moves. Vision describes what a unit can and cannot see from its current location and state. Places a unit cannot see are filled with the Fog of War, a on both sides.
There are two types of Runes that spawn in 2 minute intervals at different locations on the map: Power-up Runes and Bounty Runes. As their names imply, Power-up Runes grant players bonuses and Bounty Runes a bounty.
From the start of the game onward, Bounty Runes will spawn at four different locations on the map, two of which on the Radiant, and the other two on the Dire side.
- Bounty Rune Double Damage Haste Illusion Invisibility Regeneration Bounty Arcane See more: Runes#List Bounty Play AbilityNo Target AffectsSelf Grants bonus Gold and XP. Initial Base Gold: 100Initial Base : Grants an amount of gold “ Play Now that s how you make gold. Click to listen— Alchemist ” Gold is the currency used to buy items or instantly revive your hero. Gold can be earned from killing heroes, creeps, or buildings. Contents and experience Main Changelogs “ Play I grow stronger! Click to listen— Storm Spirit ” Experience allows heroes to level up, which makes them stronger and allows them to learn new abilities. Experience is earned which scales as the game progresses.
From the 2 minute mark onward, a Power-up Rune will spawn randomly at one of two points in the river. There are six possible runes that can spawn:
- Double Damage Rune Double Damage Haste Illusion Invisibility Regeneration Bounty Arcane See more: Runes#List Buff icon Double Damage Play AbilityNo Target AffectsSelf Increases base damage by 100%. Attack Damage : Grants 100% of a hero`s base damage as bonus damage.
- Illusion Rune Double Damage Haste Illusion Invisibility Regeneration Bounty Arcane See more: Runes#List Illusion Play AbilityNo Target AffectsSelf Conjures 2 illusions of your hero which deal 35% damage. : Creates two illusions Default buff iconPlay Spawn soundPlay Death sound “ Play A legion sprouts from one! Click to listen— Phantom Lancer ” Illusions (also commonly called illus) are imperfect, weaker copies of heroes, created by spells or items. They of the hero.
- Invisibility Rune Double Damage Haste Illusion Invisibility Regeneration Bounty Arcane See more: Runes#List Buff icon Invisibility Play AbilityNo Target AffectsSelf Becomes invisible for 45 seconds. This invisibility is : Grants invisibility Invisibility is a status effect which makes units and heroes not appear on their opponent s screen or minimap, and makes them unable to be targeted directly by the enemy. Invisibility makes the unit s model appear after a 1 second fade time.
- Regeneration Rune Double Damage Haste Illusion Invisibility Regeneration Bounty Arcane See more: Runes#List Buff icon Regeneration Play AbilityNo Target AffectsSelf Regenerates health and mana to maximum. Health Regeneration : Fully restores health “ Play Life becomes death becomes new life. As it should be. Click to listen— Treant Protector ” Health (also known as HP, which can be short for: health pool or health points) represents the life and mana Play Out of mana! “ Play It s a new age of magic! Click to listen— Keeper of the Light ” Mana (also known as MP, which is short for mana points) represents the magic power of a . Stops upon taking player-based damage.
- Haste Rune Double Damage Haste Illusion Invisibility Regeneration Bounty Arcane See more: Runes#List Buff icon Haste Play AbilityNo Target AffectsSelf Increases movement speed to maximum. Haste Speed: 550Duration: : Grants maximum movement speed DPS multiplier when chasing Minimum (pursuer MS / target MS) Ratio for Maximum Chase DPS Movement speed (sometimes abbreviated as move speed or MS) is the speed at which a unit can move. Movement speed and immunity to slows A Slow is a type of status effect that reduces the afflicted units Movement Speed by a percentage, and/or Attack Speed by a flat value of their current speeds. Contents 1 Mechanics 1.1 Slowing movement .
- Arcane Rune Double Damage Haste Illusion Invisibility Regeneration Bounty Arcane See more: Runes#List Buff icon Arcane Play AbilityNo Target AffectsSelf Reduces cooldowns by 30% and mana costs by : Causes all spell cooldowns to be reduced by 30% and mana costs to be reduced by 40%.
Roshan is an exceptionally strong creep located at the western end of the river. If killed, Roshan will grant gold to the entire team as well as drop the Aegis of the Immortal, which will automatically resurrect the holder upon death. Later in the game, Roshan also drops a Cheese after killed the second time and onward, which will greatly restore a hero`s health and mana when used. Fighting Roshan usually requires more than one player.
The Jungle refers to the forested area between lanes. This is where neutral creeps can be found, which can be killed for gold and experience. It is possible to level up by killing creeps in the jungle instead of in the lanes. This practice is called jungling.
Buildings are scattered throughout the map, and can be destroyed by the opposing side for gold and experience. To reach the Ancient, buildings must be destroyed in order from the outermost to the innermost. Buildings may be given temporary invulnerability with the Glyph of Fortification.
Each faction has defensive towers placed along the lanes leading to the Ancient. Towers deal single target damage to heroes and creeps. In the early stages of the game, a hero can only take a few hits from a tower before dying, so one must be careful as to not get too close to towers until they have gained enough strength. Towers have True Sight, and can detect invisible enemies.
Shrines have an ability with a 5 minute cooldown. Allied heroes can right-click to activate it, generating a 500 AoE aura that lasts for 5 seconds. The aura provides 120/40 HP/MP regeneration per second (heal values increase during the game by 2 @@@#@@@HP(hp.com)###@### / 1 MP per minute). Activates once you are in melee range after right-clicking on it. Shrines ability becomes available to use outside of the base once creeps spawn at 0:00. There are Shrines near each team`s Secret Shop and new Ancient Camp locations. each Shrines can be teleported to. Shrines become vulnerable whenever a Tier3 tower falls for the respective team.
Each base has three pairs of barracks, placed behind towers. One is for melee creeps, and one is for ranged creeps. If the barracks is destroyed, the opposing team`s creeps will become stronger. If all 6 barracks are destroyed, all opposing creeps will gain an even larger power-up, which makes them very difficult to defend against. These mega creeps can usually assure victory because of their high health, damage and numbers, and can kill a Hero quickly if they are reckless enough.
This is the main building in both bases. If one team destroys the other team`s Ancient, the game is over and the destroying team has won. This building does not attack and will slowly regenerate health over time. It is defended by two towers and cannot be attacked until those towers are destroyed.
Six shops exist on the map, three for each side.
- Base Shop: This shop is located in the Fountain, and sells all basic items and recipes.
- Secret Shop: This shop is located near the short lane for each side. It sells costlier items needed as ingredients for late-game items.
- Side Lane Shop: This shop is located at the edge of the long lane. It sells some items from the base shop and the secret shop, mostly ones useful for laning.
The Minimap is located at the corner of the Head-up display. It gives players an overhead view of the entire map, as well as the ability to issue certain commands. Constant awareness of the minimap is crucial to skilled gameplay.
Vision defines which areas of the map is visible to the player`s team. Areas that are not visible are covered by the Fog of War. Visions can be granted by allied heroes, units, and wards. Trees, walls, and higher terrain will obstruct vision.
There are six different height levels that have gameplay relevance:
- Lowground (mid lanes)
- Highground (base, side lanes)
- Elevated (fountain / few cliffs)
- Cliffs (most other cliffs)
- Valley (side lane tinker ward spots)
One height level can be connected to another by a stair (pathable) or a cliff (obstructed).
If an attack projectile is released, the uphill miss Evasion is calculated depending on where the two units are standing on the impact time.
Every time a player sends a move command, the pathing takes care of finding the fastest way possible. The path can be blocked by cliffs, Trees, Iron Branches, other units (also known as Body Block) and Traps.
Cliffs are the major component to limit the movement on the map. They can only be surpassed by Forced Movement, Blinks or Unobstructed Movement. Trees define the lane and jungle contours for the most part. They can be destroyed by various means and allow juking in the Fog of War. Body blocking is very important to keep the creep equilibrium at a favorable position in your Lane A Lane is one of three paths connecting the two Ancients. Lane creeps will push along these lanes after spawning. There are three lanes: Top line, which runs along the left and top edges of or to prevent an enemy from escaping until your allies catch up. Traps are mainly intended to cut off the route for chasing or escaping heroes, but they can be used for unconventional pulling methods as well.
- The map`s total size is approximately 15,000 units x 15,000 game units.
The Dota 2 map is ultimately derived from the Starcraft custom map Aeon of Strife, which also featured multiple lanes and a final objective to destroy. The map`s current diagonal format was created for Defense of the Ancients, the Warcraft 3 custom map upon which Dota 2 is based.