Critical strike is a passive ability that gives a chance to deal bonus damage on a successful attack.
Critical strike is defined by two values: the critical chance and the critical damage multiplier.
Critical damage is physical damage Damage is any means by which unit s current health can be reduced. Heroes, creeps, ancients, Roshan and fountains are all capable of dealing damage. Contents 1 Damage sources 1.1 Attack damage 1.2 Spell damage 2 and is reduced by various types of armor. When a critical strike triggers, the unit`s attack damage number visible in the HUD gets multiplied by the critical strike`s factor. The result of this multiplication shows up as a red number above the target if the attack successfully hits it. This means that the red number displays the damage before any kind of damage reduction or amplification the attack target has. This also goes for illusions. The red number shows the result of the illusion`s attack damage multiplied by the factor, before it gets reduced by the illusion`s outgoing damage reduction and armor. Critical strike does not work against buildings Buildings are special units that are immune to most spells, use structure armor, and are immobile. Destroying a building rewards you with a bounty, similar to most creeps or heroes. Destroying towers rewards the entire , and only very few work against wards This page is about in-game units. For cosmetic pets, see Summoned Unit. Summons are a type of units that are created with spells. Players do not encounter them, unless they play as, with or against . Because critical strike multiplies the attack damage of a unit, after attack damage modifiers, it is a scaling ability (unlike the damage of Monkey King Bar For the hero, see Monkey King. Item Old Abilities Changelogs Monkey King Bar A powerful staff used by a master warrior. Cost5200 Bought FromWeapons Passive Mini-Bash, True Strike Bonus +66 `s mini-bash ability).
All critical strikes are subject to pseudo-random distribution.
A ranged critical strike is calculated on projectile ejection rather than on impact. For example a unit which already lost the Soul Rend debuff on impact, still gets struck by critical hit.
Multiple critical strike abilities do not independently stack, as they cannot trigger on the same hit.
Interaction with other passive abilities
- Lifesteal: Lifesteal is calculated after critical strikes, which means that it increases the amount of life you steal.
- Cleave Cleave causes a melee unit s attacks to deal a portion of its damage in an area in front of it. Contents 1 Mechanics 2 Sources of cleave 3 Splash 4 Sources of splash 5 See : Cleave is calculated after critical strikes, which means it deals increased damage to all units within the cleave radius.
- Bash Bash is a passive ability that gives a unit a chance to stun its target on attack. Most bashes also include some extra damage upon proc. This damage is usually directly added to the attacking : Bashes and critical strikes can proc on the same attack, and are never multiplied.
- Illusions Default buff iconPlay Spawn soundPlay Death sound “ Play A legion sprouts from one! Click to listen— Phantom Lancer ” Illusions (also commonly called illus) are imperfect, weaker copies of heroes, created by spells or items. They : Illusions can use the critical strike ability (red critical numbers are before illusion and armor reduction). Pseudo-critical strikes cannot be used by illusions.
Sources of chance-based critical strike
- Alpha Wolf Alpha Wolf Jungle Creep Level 4 Health 600 Health regeneration 0.5 Mana regeneration 1 Armor 3 Magic resistance 0% Attack damage 30‒33 Acquisition range 500 Attack range 90 Base attack time 1.35 Attack animation 0.33+0.64 - Critical StrikeProc Chance: 20%
Critical Damage: 200%
Average DPS Increase: 20%
- Bloodthorn Item Changelogs BloodthornB A reviled blade that bites deeper with each wriggle of its victim s final throes. Cost7195 (1000) Bought FromWeapons Active Soul Rend Passive Critical Strike Bonus +25 Intelligence+30 Attack - Critical StrikeProc Chance: 20%
Critical Damage: 175%
Average DPS Increase: 15%
- Brewmaster Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Brewmaster 23 + 3.2 22 + 1.95 14 + - Drunken BrawlerProc Chance: 10%/15%/20%/25%
Critical Damage: 230%
Average DPS Increase: 13%/19.5%/26%/32.5%
Also grants Brewmaster a guaranteed critical strike when he does not attack for 13/12/11/10 seconds.
- Chaos Knight Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Chaos Knight 22 + 3.2 14 + 2.1 16 + 1.2 Level - Chaos StrikeProc Chance: 12%
Critical Damage: 125%/175%/225%/275%
Average DPS Increase: 3%/9%/15%/21%
Provides 65% lifesteal Lifesteal allows the attacking unit to gain health when damaging an enemy, which includes any attack modifier with attack damage. The lifesteal ability can be gained via items, passive abilities or the auras of other upon a successful Chaos Strike.
- Crystalys Item Changelogs CrystalysB A blade forged from rare crystals, it seeks weak points in enemy armor. Cost2120 (500) Bought FromWeapons Passive Critical Strike Bonus +30 Attack damage Disassemble? No Alert allies? - Critical StrikeProc Chance: 20%
Critical Damage: 175%
Average DPS Increase: 15%
- Daedalus Item Old Abilities Changelogs Daedalus A weapon of incredible power that is difficult for even the strongest of warriors to control. Cost5320 (1000) Bought FromWeapons Passive Critical Strike Bonus +80 - Critical StrikeProc Chance: 30%
Critical Damage: 235%
Average DPS Increase: 40.5%
- Juggernaut Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Juggernaut 20 + 2.2 26 + 2.4 14 + 1.4 Level Base - Blade DanceProc Chance: 20%/25%/30%/35%
Critical Damage: 200%
Average DPS Increase: 20%/25%/30%/35%
- Lycan Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Lycan 25 + 3.3 16 + 1 17 + 1.55 Level Base - ShapeshiftProc Chance: 40%
Critical Damage: 160%/180%/200%
Average DPS Increase: 24%/32%/40%
Affects all units under Lycan`s control during Shapeshift.
- Phantom Assassin Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Phantom Assassin 20 + 2.15 23 + 3.15 15 + 1.4 Level - Coup de GraceProc Chance: 15%
Critical Damage: 230%/340%/450%
Average DPS Increase: 19.5%/36%/52.5%
- Wraith King Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Wraith King 22 + 3.2 18 + 1.7 18 + 1.6 Level - Mortal StrikeProc Chance: 15%
Hero Critical Damage: 150%/200%/250%/300%
Non-Hero Critical Damage: 200%/300%/400%/500%
Hero Average DPS Increase: 7.5%/15%/22.5%/30%
Non-Hero Average DPS Increase: 15%/30%/45%/60%
Deals more damage against non-hero units. Also works against wards This page is about in-game units. For cosmetic pets, see Summoned Unit. Summons are a type of units that are created with spells. Players do not encounter them, unless they play as, with or against .
The following abilities involve a critical strike mechanic, although they are not triggered as a chance on attack.
- Bloodthorn Item Changelogs BloodthornB A reviled blade that bites deeper with each wriggle of its victim s final throes. Cost7195 (1000) Bought FromWeapons Active Soul Rend Passive Critical Strike Bonus +25 Intelligence+30 Attack - Soul RendCritical Damage: 145%
Causes all attacks against the targeted enemy to be critical strikes.
- Bounty Hunter "Bounty" redirects here. For the reward earned from last-hits, see Gold. Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs - Jinada
- Monkey King For the in-game item, see Monkey King Bar. Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Known Bugs Monkey - Boundless Strike
- Sniper Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Sniper 16 + 2 21 + 2.5 15 + 2.6 Level Base - AssassinateCritical Damage: 0 ( 280%)
Requires Aghanim`s Scepter Item Upgraded Abilities Old Abilities Lore Changelogs Aghanim s Scepter The scepter of a wizard with demigod-like powers. Cost4200 Bought FromCaster Passive Ultimate Upgrade Bonus +10 Strength+10 Agility+10 Intelligence+175 . Hits all enemy heroes marked within the area.
- Tusk Hero Strategy Counters Equipment Gear Responses Sounds Lore Old Abilities Changelogs Tusk 23 + 2.6 23 + 2.1 18 + 1.7 Level Base - Walrus PUNCH!
Chance Stacking Formula
Multiple critical strike damage percentages do not stack. However the chance can stack based on the following formula:
- (1 - critical chance) ₂ₗ (1 - next source of critical chance) = (1 - chance to not crit) = critical strike chance
If critical strike chance is 100% through a given ability, then that critical strike will override and prevent other sources of crit from activating.
Critical Strike Abilities
|Hero||Ability||Critical Damage||Critical Chance|
|Brewmaster||Drunken Brawler||200%||10% / 15% / 20% / 25% |
(100% if you have not attacked for
16 / 14 / 12 / 10 seconds)
|Chaos Knight||Chaos Strike||125% / 175% / 225% / 275%||10%|
|Juggernaut||Blade Dance||200%||20% / 25% / 30% / 35%|
|Lycan||Shapeshift||140% / 160% / 180%||40%|
|Phantom Assassin||Coup de Grace||230% / 340% / 450%||15%|
|Wraith King||Mortal Strike||150% / 200% / 250% / 300% |
300% / 400% / 500% / 600%
|Unit||Ability||Critical Damage||Critical Chance|
|Giant Wolf||Critical Strike||200%||20%|
|Alpha Wolf||Critical Strike||200%||20%|
|Item||Ability||Critical Damage||Critical Chance|
Guaranteed Critical Strike
|Bounty Hunter||Jinada||150% / 175% / 200% / 225%||12 / 10 / 8 / 6|
|Monkey King||Boundless Strike||140% / 160% / 180% / 200% |
300% with talent
|Tusk||Walrus PUNCH!||350% |
500% with talent
|36 / 24 / 12|